Is there a marked difference between the results of and IPL treatment and an "advanced photofacial"?

My dermatologist recommended and "advanced photo facial" for skin color, texture, and fine lines. The advanced photo facial consists of three different types of light as opposed to the traditional IPL, which only uses one type of light. Is there really a difference? The advanced photo facial is a little out of my budget. Are the results from the procedure worth it?

IPL versus Advanced Photofacial

The terms IPL and photofacial are interchangeable. The term "advanced photofacial" may be a term used by a certain office where the settings are different. It sounds like this may be the case as different "types" of light are used. With an IPL photofacial, many different wavelengths or colors of light are used; this can be controlled with filters that are available on various devices. Visible light works well for dark spots and redness, infrared light works well for stimulating collagen, and blue or ultraviolet light works well for acne. Depending on your concern you may choose the "advanced photofacial" option. I recommend discussing this with your doctor and reviewing representative before and after pictures to see what would be best for you. Good luck!

Encino Physician

IPL is a photofacial -- get Fraxel with Microneedling or combine with IPL and microneedling/PRP

Fraxel is the gold standard for wrinkles, redness can be treated at the same time with yellow laser. I find IPL is just "okay" for facial rejuvenation it doesnt do long term antiaging.  Best, Dr. Emer.