What treatment would be best to remove my red marks from acne? (photos)

I have been suffering from acne for almost 5 years. A year and a half ago, all of my pimples started to leave marks (no matter if I did not touch them or scratch them, etc). Now my face is just covered. I do not have those "acne scars", only red marks. Most of the marks that are visible on the photo have been there for a week - month, others a year. I would love to know what treatment would be best for me and the price and risks of that treatment.

Doctor Answers 3

Hyperpigmentation and Redness from acne

I would treat with Retin A, hydroquinone, and the VBeam or Excel V laser. It will take 2 or 3 treatments with the laser. Chemical peels can help with pigmentation as well as control acne as well. 

Panama City Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 41 reviews

Acne scars

First, before you start to spend money on treating the scars, spend the time and money to prevent acne.   If you don't, no matter how much we try to fix the scars, you will continue to make new ones.   Use topical products, oral medications, and procedures like peels, facials, and light therapy.   Once your acne is under better control, your skin will look better and these procedures will also help with the redness.   You may need fractionated laser or microneedling if your scars are deeper.

Erik Suh, MD
Bellevue Family Physician
5.0 out of 5 stars 5 reviews

How to treat red marks after acne

What you are discussing is post inflammatory hyperpigmentation. Some of it will resolve in time. Sometimes a topical product like Retin-A and/or hydrocortisone can help with redness. And finally, what I think is the best treatment is a combination of those products with Cutera Laser Genesis which is a YAG laser. The laser doesn't touch the skin but feels like warm water over the skin and it helps to break up redness. The treatment is done about once a month and you may need 6 or so. It is one of the most effective treatments for PIH from acne. "This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

F. Victor Rueckl, MD
Las Vegas Dermatologist
4.6 out of 5 stars 17 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.