Are these marks and blisters normal after IPL photo facial? I have dark burn marks w blisters on them filled with pus. (photos)

Will these go away, or is it Permanate damage to the skin? My estheciatian said I'm a Fitzpatrick 4 and That these are burns and should not blister. I'm using aquaphor, hydrocortisone , and aloe but the aloe stings when I use it and the hydrocortisone doesn't help w the itching. It's very itchy and sore and I'm afraid of scarring. What should I do?

Burns post IPL

These are definitely burns from the imprints of the IPL.

You have  a dark skin type so it's safer  to be extra careful with these treatments. It is also a good idea to prepare your skin with a bleaching agent such as Hydroquinone  before end after the treatment.This will heal but you may have some pigment changes after.

I would go back to the provider and show them what is going on. 

Montreal Physician

Burns after IPL

These are indeed burns. The fact that you have experienced burns from an IPL and the odd pattern in which they appear is certainly not a normal response.  I would followup with the office that performed the laser for resolution.  

Gilbert Lee, MD

IPL complications

Hello. I am wondering how long after treatment you looked like this? I also noted that you wrote this 10 days ago, so I would like to know how things have progressed: did you have any blistering? Has the itching resolved? How do they look now? I usually recommend that a Fitzpatrick IV start on hydroquinone, or similar, to inhibit melanogenesis (making dark spots) at least 2 weeks prior to IPL. Then, our office might opt to do a test spot after the two week time frame. If that does not cause a reaction like you had, then we would proceed with treatment.  Hyperpigmentation is reversible, and it may take time for these areas to heal completely. I wish you well.

Miguel Delgado, MD

IPL burn and improvement

I find that fractional lasers like fraxel and skinfinity with microneedling/prp do very well to help this area once healed.  Burns should be treated with growth factors and lightening creams to prevent pigmentation.  Best, Dr. Emer