What can be done about vertical lines under the skin above my lip?

At 52, I am lucky that I don't have lines or wrinkles. Pigmentation is a small issue but I've been managing it myself. My biggest problems: when I talk or eat, vertical lines appear above my upper lip. (They are not smokers' lines. They are underneath. You don't see them when my face is relaxed.) Also, I have marionette lines. Ugh.

Upper lip lines

Dear legg3819:

Lip lines that are present only one talking can easily be smoothed over with just four units of Botox to the upper lip. Marionette lines can be approached by using a small amount of filler, or using skin tightening procedures such as Pellevé or Ultherapy.

All the best, Dr. Clark 

Let's Keep You Lucky!

Lasers, microneedling/prp, and fillers can all be used to improve this area.  Marionette lines often needs lasers, skin tightening and face/neck lifting too. Please see an expert in facial contouring and antiaging. Best, Dr. Emer

Improving lines above lip when speaking

These are amenable to small injections of Botox. Dosage ranges from 3-9 units but I stay on the lower side to avoid problems with drinking. The effects last only about 6 weeks because the dosing is so low.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Vertical Lip lines, what can be done?

The cause for Vertical lip lines are multifactorial. They include dynamic lip lines due to repeated contraction of the muscle around the mouth, static lip lines due to loss of collagen from aging and UV radiation, and loss of volume. Therefore  the treatment approach can be a combination of neurotoxins to slow down the muscle movement, volume replacement with fillers, and collagen stimulating procedures such as CO2 or Erbium laser resurfacing and Ultherapy. 

In your specific situation it appears that you will benefit from fillers and neurotoxins.

Find an expert aesthetic  physician who can guide you in the right direction.

Best of luck.

Dr. Shanthala