I would like to know what kind of scars I have and what treatment is recommended? (Photos)

I would like to know what kind of scars I have and what treatment is recommended , I suffered acne for around 13 years on and off and the scars really need sorting I'm very self conscious . Thanks

Doctor Answers 4

Options for deep acne scars on the forehead

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Our Hidef Acne scar protocol includes a combination of sublative RF, fractional laser, Yag laser, subcision, fillers, and skin tightening. Best, Dr. KaramanoukianLos Angeles

Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 95 reviews

Facial scarring

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Hi. Based on your photos, I would recommend a TCA CROSS peel to alleviate the ice pick scars as well as subsequent treatments with  dermal filler and microneedling to raise the scars and blend into surrounding tissues. This combination of treatments can work very well and will give long lasting results. A careful examination by a trained individual is always required.

Acne Scarring -- Requires a Combination of Fractional Laser Resurfacing, Fillers Like Bellafill, Subcision and Eclipse Micropen

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Based on your photographs, it appears you have a significant amount of boxcar scarring. Acne scarring requires a combination approach. Surgery, subcision, or TCA cross for deep or pitted "ice pick" scars. Fillers like Bellafill or Sculptra or Radiesse for broad "boxcar" or "rolling" scars. Eclipse Micropen for all types of scars and improvement in texture and tone. Lasers such as co2 laser resurfacing or Fraxel/Clear+Brilliant or radiofrequency such as Sublative or Viva to improve the scars and give long term collagen production. I suggest consulting with a board certified dermatologist for further assessment. Best, Dr. Emer

Jason Emer, MD
Los Angeles Dermatologic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 207 reviews

Scar types

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Only a careful physical exam will be able to differentiate the types of scars that have resulted from acne, though at first appearance it looks as if you have a number of boxcar and some icepick scars.  Consider discussing treatment options with a Board Certified plastic surgeon or dermatologist experienced with the management of facial acne scars.  It is likely that you will benefit from a combination of treatments that may include resurfacing with lasers, needling, and possibly fillers like Belafill.  While treatment for acne scars can be difficult, it is very likely that the condition can be improved.  Best of luck!

Larry Lickstein, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon
4.2 out of 5 stars 43 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.