Possible Treatments to Mild Acne Scarring(depressions) and Post Inflammatory Hyper Pigmentation?

I had acne about three months ago and unfortunately I picked two of the pimples which have left two minor depressions in my skin. My acne is currently under control and I haven't been getting any breakouts since two months. I've come across this site that is selling super copper peptide serum and 10% Hydroxy Acid cream which according to many people has shown significant improvements in their acne scars... Could anyone advise me as to whether such a topical treatment would be safe?

Doctor Answers 4

A board certified dermatologist with experience in treating acne scarring will be able to help determine the best treatment

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

With advanced dermatological research and technology, there are many non-surgical acne scarring treatments available including laser resurfacing, facial fillers, chemical peels, and microdermabrasion.  After the acne flare, time is one of the best healers both for depth of acne scar as well as hyperpigmentation.  First, if hyperpigmentation persists, discuss with a board-certified dermatologist about considering a cream which contains a bleach as well as an ant-inflammatory  and a retinoid.  The depression is more difficult because there is a need to fill the depression with collagen which will be long lasting.  This process involves breaking up of the scarred collagen and establishing a new smoother less depressed collagen.  There is also several surgical acne scarring treatments including needling, subcisions, punch grafting, hand sanding, and fillers including fat transfers as well as Alloderm (collagen taken from another person which serves as a scaffold on which your own collagen grows). There are many topical treatments both over-the-counter and through a prescription that can help minimize mild acne scars.  A board certified dermatologist with experience in treating acne scarring will be able to help determine the best treatment for your specific skin condition.

Atlanta Dermatologic Surgeon
4.0 out of 5 stars 6 reviews

Acne control and repair of scars

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

in our practice we have good success with our chemical peel program - find a good physician-directed skin care program

at the appropriate time the physician can address the acne deformity - some times the peels are enough , other cases may need filler or laser resurfacing - depends on the depth of damage

i hope you find this helpful

David V. Martini, MD
Elkton Facial Plastic Surgeon

Topical Treatments for Acne Scarring and Increased Pigmentation

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Without knowing all of the ingredients in the solution, I would be unable to comment on the proposed cream. PIH is quite often resistant to superficial short term treatments, and usually requires a disciplined use of bleaching agent(s) (most oten hydroquinone), exfoliant (retin-A, or glycolic acid), and a mild topical steroid to reduce redness and irritation. May see response after 12 weeks.

Treatment for the acne scar may require some more time (at least 6 months to watch for improvements. Afterward, you should be evaluated to see if your skin type would respond to a combination of 1. Subcision 2. Deep Dermal Filler, and 3. CO2 Fractional Laser Resurfacing. Good Luck, M.Lyons, MD

Michael B. Lyons, MD, FACS
Mobile Facial Plastic Surgeon

Acne Scar treatments

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Hi Bodboy.  The acid level you quoted should be safe for you as long as you are using it as the product directs.  The product should help with the PIH (pigment), but will not help with the indentations.  These may improve over time on their own, but if not, we would consider a laser resurfacing program.  Good luck.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD
Los Angeles Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.4 out of 5 stars 7 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.