What treatment is most effective for removing acne and regular scars?

While growing up, I had been bitten by many mosquitos and would pick until scarring. I also had shoulder acne and would also pick at that until scarring. Now I have scars all over my arms ranging from 2-6 years old, and need to know what will be the most effective treatment in removing them. Some of my scars have closely blended into my skin tone, while others are still a redish/brownish color. I am always having to wear long sleeves all the time, and it really is hard and embarrassing.

Treating Acne Scars on the Body

Both the Fraxel (1550) and the eMatrix lasers are great treatments for acne scars on the face as well as the body.  I have had great results in removing these scars.  If you have a lighter complexion I would  recommend the Fraxel and a darker one the eMatrix.  Both lasers take 4 to 5 treatments scheduled approximately one month apart.  For the best results please seek out a board certified dermatologist with a great deal of experience in the Fraxel laser.

Combination of tretments

While it is difficult to give you a proper response without visualizing your areas of concern, a few recommendations can still be made. Firstly a series of chemical peels would be beneficial for most of your discoloration. Secondly, a combo of glycolic acid with a bleaching agent such as hydroquinone would be effective as well. Lastly a laser consultation would be in order as well to give you the full spectrum of options. Most likely, Fraxel laser would be of great help for your scarring.

Joshua L. Fox, MD
Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon

Arm and shoulder scar treatment

I have had the most success treating the kind of scars you describe, in fair to medium tone skin types (Fitzpatrick 1-3), with multiple 1540 or 1550nm fractionated laser treatments.  Fraxel makes 1550nm, and Palomar 1540nm.  Either works fine, should be done where surrounding skin is included in the treatment to blend. It usually requires multiple treatments sessions, 4-6 on average, spaced about 4-6 weeks apart.  I would see a dermatologic surgeon with either of these devices. 

Karen Stolman, MD
Sandy Dermatologic Surgeon