Scars on Face. Can Any of These Respond to Laser (Fraxel) or Chemical Peel (Med Depth Tca)? (photo)

I have a few isolated scars on my face that have always bothered me. I need overall skin tone improvement as well from sun damage, zit picking, freckles, sun spots, wrinkles and some mild scars and large pores for most part. In addition I have these isolated scars and have no idea where to start and what treatment. I have been reading on fraxel (worried about some negative reviews) and medium rather than shallow peels. What would be most effective? thanks…..

Doctor Answers 3

Fraxel Laser for Facial Scars

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

It sounds like a few treatments with Fraxel Dual would be best to treat your facial concerns. I say Dual instead of Repair because you appear to have only mild photo damage on your skin, as well as mild freckles, wrinkles, and scarring. Also, use of the Dual might help alleviate your concerns about Fraxel lasers as it is relatively less aggressive yet effective. If you decide against laser treatment, dermal fillers like Restylane can temporarily address the scars and wrinkles. This wouldn’t do anything for your age spots or freckles, though.

The scar under your chin appears to be hypertrophic and would require a different treatment approach. Consult your dermatologist about possible steroid injections in conjunction with laser treatment or even scar revision. 

Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 33 reviews

Scars on Face

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

  Although you did not include your age, the photos that you attached do show some rather significant damage, likely due to a multitude of different causes.  I think you are right in thinking to go deeper (medium instead of light).  But I think you need to go deeper still, say to deep resurfacing techniques.  I, and many respondents on this forum, are not big fans of the fractionated lasers to achieve the results you want.

Lawrence Kass, MD
Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 140 reviews

Acne Scar Options

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Hi Hazel.  For the scars you have, we would likely recommend fractional laser resurfacing.  Although the overall skin texture can be improved with a TCA peel, it's unlikely that the indented scars you are most concerned about will improve with this peel.  A deeper fractional laser resurfacing would have the potential for better results.  Good luck.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD
Los Angeles Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.4 out of 5 stars 7 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.