Which weight loss procedure would you recommend for me? (Photos)

I am a 40 something yo woman, who has yo-yo'd her whole life. I am 5'6" and weight about 280 lbs. I'm researching weight loss procedures, as my weight contributes to my depression and needing to isolate myself. Which procedure do you recommend? I have battled my weight, my whole life but as I get older, it gets harder. I have tried exercise but, am having difficulty maintaining. I just keep getting heavier and more depressed. I really need help.

Personalized Weight Loss Plan

Thanks for your question and pictures!

Weight loss can be difficult, and it is always beneficial to develop a plan personalized to fit your specific needs. If you're looking for a surgical option, the gastric sleeve and/or gastric bypass are proven options. However, it is not necessary to jump to extreme measures right off the bat. Some practices, such as mine, offer minimally invasive procedures such as the lap band and gastric balloon that do not change the shape or structure of your digestive system but still control and monitor your appetite. Medical weight loss is also an option.

Seeing as there are so many different options, the best plan would be to visit a doctor so they can physically examine you, see what you qualify for, and make a customized plan to ensure optimal results.

Best of luck

Weight loss

Losing weight is not easy for most people who are overweight. A lot depends on you and your personality type, lifestyle, metabolism, and attitude. If you want to learn how to lose weight and keep it off for the rest of your life, you should do a program that encompasses all these aspects.

If you want to do a procedure for weight loss, I recommend the gastric sleeve procedure. This keeps the absorption of your nutrients intact but works well to help you lose weight. If you want to do it on your own, I would advise you get on a good weight loss program.
A good program includes three main aspects for losing weight, which are eating right, exercising adequately, and getting support regularly. A restricted diet is necessary, such as < 1000 cals/day. Limit carbs such as sweets, breads, pastas; make sure you eat enough protein, at least 50 gm/day; eat lots of vegetables and some low glycemic fruits; some nuts and oils, such as olive oil. Exercise regularly, every day if you can, with good vigorous activities. See a diet counselor or physician at least every other week; if you have a support person, use them.

For further information on my plan, The True Diet, go to my website (see link below). I also utilize methods to change your metabolism, to make sure hormones are optimized, to lower inflammation, and much more. It’s not just calories in should be less than calories out. Good Luck.

Robert L. True, MD
Grapevine OB/GYN