How do I clear my acne prone skin? (photos)

Hi I am 25 years old and I have suffered from acne prone skin for the past 8 years. I went on a birth control pill that has helped, but I still suffer from breakouts and I have alot of blackheads and papules on cheeks,chin,and enlarged pores and scarring. It has been a long and tough road trying to find the best solution and answers. Could you determine if I am a candidate for Accutane? Do you have any advice? Thankyou Tahnee Stramlic

Maybe its not acne

Acne usually stops at age 20 to 23,  because testosterone, the major culprit in
developing acne levels off lower. While acne persists in many patients beyond
the usual age of cessation, not all papules and red bumps on the T-zone are
acne. If your skin does not have the characteristic comedones, your condition
might not be acne. Correct diagnosis is imperative. Sometimes patients are
treated for acne when in fact they have the papulo-pustular rosacea, mimicking

I have not used Accutane on any of my patients. I
found that acne scars on patients who have used Accutane are the most
challenging to improve. So I stay away from Accutane.

Fresno Physician

Acne treatments

Thank you for your question tahn31. Acne is a common problem that affects many people worldwide. If the acne is hormonal than oral contraceptives may help. Topical products to treat acne include salicylic acid, glycolic acid, benzoyl peroxide, clindamycin, retinoids, and niacinamide. Oral medications include doxycycline and Dapsone. Treatments include chemical peels, laser resurfacing, and other energy-based treatments. Accutane has many side effects and is reserved for acne that is resistant to other options. Please consult with a doctor for specific advice. Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician