Scolds from Boiling Water Scar?

I got scalded from boiling water when I was 18 months old. I'm now 28. I've had lots I skin gratfs over the years but nothing since i was 15. Is there Anyrhing I can do to improve my scars. There on my chest and arms. Has anything been changed over the last 13 years since my last operation or any good things I can use.thanks

Doctor Answers 2

Lasers for burn scars

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Hi Matt, there have been tremendous developments in the treatment of scars over the past several years, we now have a few different lasers which can help improve the appearance of scars, including burn scars. I recommend you see a board certified dermatologist who has advanced training in lasers and they can evaluate your scars and pick the best option for you. 

Stamford Dermatologic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 29 reviews

Help with improving scars

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Hi Matt,

Sorry to hear about your burns.  Depending on the color and consistency of your scars as well as whether they are raised or depressed, different laser and light modalities can be used.  Some examples of lasers and light sources we have successfully used for scars include Fraxel, Pixel, Excimer, PDL, Genesis plus Lyra and KTP.  Laser treatments can be combined with steroid injections if your scars are particularly tight, raised, painful or tender.  I recently treated a woman rejected by multiple plastic surgeries for repair for severe burns on her face.  Over the course of multiple treatments over 1 year we saw more than 70% improvement.   Hope that helps.

Joshua L. Fox, MD
Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 22 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.