Reducing Nasal Labial Lines Without FIllers

I have had prominent nasal labial lines from a relatively young age. My face (specifically smile) is VERY expressive and thus the lines are becoming more "permanent" as I get older (I am 30 now). I am trying to stay away from injectibles for as long as possible as I am concerned about lumps, asymmetry, etc. Would Retinoids or Glycolic/Mandelic Acids reduce these lines? While I know they will not affect the way my face moves, does anything other than fillers plump up these areas?

Wrinkle Reduction Alternatives

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

While fillers are probably the most cost-effective technique for plumping nasolabial folds without surgery, other options include fractional laser or a novel new non-invasive technique: Ulthera.

Ulthera uses ultrasound to stimulate collagen production in specific components of the facial tissues.

Reducing nasolabial folds without fillers

The nasolabial folds tend to become more prominent as we age. This is typically the result of loss of skin elasticity, descent of the facial soft tissues, and loss of volume in the cheeks. The hyaluronic acid fillers are very reliable, work well, and are reversible. An expert in facial aesthetics should be able to assess all of the possible causes of each patient's area of concern. Often the nasolabial folds are made worse by a lack of support in the soft tissues of the cheek/submalar area. A cheek implant or submalar implant can be very helpful to support the soft tissues of the cheek and lift the nasolabial fold area. This is a relatively simple and short surgical procedure that offers a permanent improvement. 

A consultation with a board-certified physician specializing in facial aesthetics is always recommended in order to obtain an individualized treatment plan. 

Nasolabial Line Treatment

Dear RubyOne:

Hyaluronic acid dermal fillers work great to soften up this area, but I would suggest assessing your cheeks for possible deflation and augmenting if needed prior to filling the nasolabial area, as this could result in softening up of your nasolabial lines.  All the best.

Nasolabial folds

One of the nicest things about hyaluronic acid fillers Juvederm and Restylane, are they are reversible.  If you do not like the result, hyaluronidase can be used to get rid of the filler.  In young patients with furrows in this area, these injectables are the safest, and most cost effective choice.  With numbing cream and ice, the new filler with lidocaine (Juvederm XC, Restylane L) are painless.  Make sure you are injected by a Board Certified Dermatologist, or Plastic Surgeon who also has experience with hyaluronidase so you feel comfortable.  I really don't think there are other effective, safe options out there to really improve the area you are concerned about.

Hope that helps.

Madeline Krauss, M.D.

Madeline Krauss, MD
Boston Dermatologic Surgeon

Reducing lines along nasolabial folds

Effective solution to any aesthetic concern must address the underlying etiology. In this case, nasolabial folds are caused by combination of loss of volume of nasolabial folds (requiring volume replenishment) as well as loss of bony structure on upper cheeks leading to sagging and overhang of cheeks creating shadows over lips. Filler injections along nasolabial folds and cheek augmentation are the best nonsurgical treatment. Any concern about asymmetry from fillers is of minimal concern in the hands of experienced aesthetic physicians especially when hyaluronic acid fillers such as Juvederm, Restylane, or Perlane are used as they are completely reversible with hyaluronidase in the worse case scenario.

Nasolabial fold reduction without fillers.

While topical treatments have their place, if it is truly a nasolabial fold issue, the best approach is usually a direct approach.    Injectables can be very effective in this area. They fill in the contour.    Please see an experienced and well trained injector.