Popped Zit Turned into Large, Open Pore That Hasn't Gone Away in 6 Months? (photo)

I popped a zit on my upper lip about 6 months ago. Now I have a large, open pore that I cannot minimize nor reduce the appearance of. I do my best to keep it cleaned and "gunk" free, but I keep having to extract a white substance (don't think its pus) from it. I wash my face every morning and night, use witch hazel on the area, and use a moisturizer. What can I do to minimize this hole/pore? I don't know what else to do.

Doctor Answers 5

Removing Acne Cysts

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
The area you are showing in your picture is most likely a small cyst; whether it was a “pore” or a cyst prior is hard to know. There are not many options to make this “go away” except to have a small surgical procedure done to make sure if it is a cyst that the wall of the cyst is removed completely. A board-certified dermatologist can easily take care of this. A small 2-3 mm punch biopsy or punch excision to the area with one small suture will usually take care of this with a minimal scar. Most of this will not be noticeable or can be easily corrected by either silicone gel or one of a myriad of laser procedures. Be careful, however: some may want to do a“big” procedure – this is definitely not needed here.

Nashville Dermatologic Surgeon
3.9 out of 5 stars 17 reviews

Dilated Pore On the Face

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I recommend you consult with a board-certified dermatologist for evaluation.  It is hard to tell from the picture whether it is actually a dilated pore or a pitted scar from trauma to a prior acne lesions. Either way, it may be possible to just punch excise the lesion which will allow new skin to granulate in. It may be possible to also lightly electrodessicate (cauterize) it and allow it to heal in smoothly. A cream is not going to get rid of this. Good luck!

Large Pore on Lip

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Best option is to have the lesion removed. It sounds like you might have a cyst but you need a doctor to evaluate and examine you. By removing the cyst and suturing it closed you can correct the problem. Of course any type of surgery could leave a small scar, but it would likely be less noticeable than the large pore that expresses material. See a dermatologist, plastic surgeon, facial plastic surgeon and make sure that they have extensive experience performing surgery for similar conditions. Good luck.

You might also like...

Popped Zit Turned into Large, Open Pore That Hasn't Gone Away in 6 Months?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Great posted photo. I agree with the treatment/operation stated by Dr. T.Wayne Day. A small punch biopsy devise with 1 or 2 small sutures should alleviate the pore. As for having insurance cover this treatment, in Florida, I highly doubt it is a covered benefit in most health insurance plans. 

Single Large Pore Repair

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

A single large pore like yours has something like a cyst at the base and underneath the skin. A simple office surgery can correct it.

Something that looks like a miniature cookie cutter and just slightly larger than the pore will remove the large pore. A stitch or two later and you will be out the door with your problem solved. Of course this is done by numbing that area of the skin with an injection of numbing medicine.

Normally the treatment is covered by insurance and can often be done as part of your regular appointment, especially if you tell the appointment scheduler what you want to have done.

T. Wayne Day, MD
Nashville Dermatologic Surgeon

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.