Acne Scars. Struggled Since I Was a Teen? (photo)

Which treatment would be best for me? I have struggled with acne since a teen and I am now 28 and still can't seem to get it under control. I have blackheads whiteheads dark spots on my face that never seem to vanish I even feel little bumps under the skin whenever I rub. It make me very self conscious and insecure so I am constantly picking and squeezing my face in hopes that I can remove some of the bumps I've tried EVERTHING is there surgery and what is it called I want these dark spots gone!

Doctor Answers 2

Adult acne

As you are experiencing, even adults suffer with acne.  For the most part, acne is a chronic condition.  The use of isotretinoin (Accutane) can potentially cure it in some people.  There are also many excellent medications and treatments.  It sounds like you need to consult with a board-certified dermatologist to discuss your options.  The marks in the pictures look like post inflammatory hyperpigmentation and will probably resolve if you get your acne treated.  Good luck!

New York Dermatologist
3.3 out of 5 stars 10 reviews

Which Treatment for Acne Scars?

Hi RM.  For the small pimples and dark marks, you may be best served with an exfoliating agent like Retin A or glycolic acid.  For the dark marks, it would be best to try a 4% or 6% hydroquinone.  Your local dermatologist should be able to provide these prescriptions for you.  

Even if the acne does not disappear completely, you should be able to get rid of the spots which is going to improve the overall appearance of the skin.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD
Los Angeles Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.4 out of 5 stars 7 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.