Any recommendations on which clarisonic brush head is right for me? Also which birth control pill?

I am a 35 yo Indian woman w brown skin. I usually get bad acne breakout once a month around the time of menstruation and sometimes during ovulation. Mostly I'm dealing w scars right now. Orthotriclyclin Lo is too expense with my insurance

Acne and hormonal treatment

Many women benefit from taking an oral contraceptive to help with their acne flare-ups.  Another option is Sprinolactone which also addresses this hormonal type of acne.  I suggest you consult a board certified dermatologist who has experience with acne and also speak to your gynecologist as well.  Many patients like the Clarisonic brush as well as benefiting from Oxygen facials and microdermabrasion for acne.

Acne and Menstruation

Thank you for your question.  It is common for women who are prone to acne to have flare-ups that coincide with the hormonal fluctuations that occur during their menstrual cycle.  So you are not alone.  You are on the right track regarding oral contraceptives as these medications increase the amount of estrogen which can help alleviate the acne flare-ups.  I suggest you speak with your Ob/gyn regarding type of birth control that may be effective and more affordable.  

In addition to choosing the right oral contraceptive, a good skin care regimen is also very important.  Keeping your skin clean with a gentle cleanser and practicing good skin hygiene is  key.  Topical and oral antibiotics may also be used.   Finding a physician to direct your efforts would be ideal.  Just remember,  it takes several weeks before you see results of the regimen you start.  So be patient.  

I would actually advise against  using the Clarisonic as its use may be too abrasive for your skin.  I hope you find this information helpful and good luck!

Kiranjeet Gill, MD
Naples Physician