Can I Have Multiple Cosmetic Surgery Procedures Done at Once?

I'm interested in getting 3 procedures: Breast Augmentation, Chin implant and Liposuction. When I mentioned this to my surgeon he told me that it's better to do it all at once. I have to admit, I'm a bit nervous about getting it done all at once. Is it better to do it all at once and get it over with? I know that it's going to save me money, but will the pain be 2 much or will I be able to handle it?

Combining Multiple Procedures with a Mommy Makeover

The Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction.  #Combined operations are often performed with our #Gynecology colleagues. Tubal ligation is a common post pregnancy procedure which is done at the time of many of the surgeries included with a #MommyMakeover. If you require a gynecologic operation or study (laparoscopy) and are considering a plastic surgery procedure, discuss these issues with your physician and board-certified plastic surgeon. Also, combining these #procedures may decrease anesthetics, costs, and recovery time.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Multiple procedures performed at same time

Performing multiple procedures at the same time can be done provided that the surgical time is not excessive. A breast aug and chin implant shouldn't take more than 2 1/2- 3 hours and depending upon how much liposuction, you are probably looking at another 1 -2 hours. Provided that you are healthy , it probably is OK. Just review this with your doctor.

Safety is the most important thing to consider

Although many surgeons perform multiple procedures at the same time to convenience their patients while under anesthesia and for their patients to avoid needing to take different times off work during which they can recover, it is worth getting a second opinon for a surgeon to gauge the amount of surgery needed with your liposuction. If the total hours of the procedures becomes a lengthy surgery, then risks do increase while under anesthesia. Safety is the more important concern than postoperative recovery with multiple procedures when done together.

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

Okay to do these three surgeries at one time

Having a breast augmentation, chin implant, and a liposuction is certainly acceptable to do at one setting. There is a cost-savings performing of procedures together, and one recuperative time period. That type of surgery should last approximately three to four hours, and that is an acceptable period of time to be performed as an outpatient procedure.

Length of Surgery

Dear Vivid, excellent question! We do multiple areas all the time- it is safe as long a the proper precautions in pre-op planning, compression garments of legs, and proper positioning on the OR table and mobilization during surgery.

Pain with surgery is not that big an issue for most people. The OR time should be limited to around 5 hours.

With Warm Regards,

Trevor M Born MD

Length of Surgery

With Warm Regards,

Trevor M Born MD

It depends on several things

It is safe to combine multiple procedures IF the total surgical time is under 6 hours, and if some of the procedures don't increase the risks associated with the others, and if the surgeon is comfortable with the combination. Yours seems to be a reasonable combination depending on how much liposuction is being done.

It depends on several things

Having Multiple Procedures is Just Fine

We often do multiples at the same time. There are two main reasons. First, is cost. The first hour of surgical time is the most expensive so getting multiple procedures costs less in the long run. The second reason is convenience. Most patients think that if they're going to be down for one procedure they might as well recover from all of them at the same time. Again less social down time overall.

Getting multiple procedures is safe. Anesthesia is safe for an hour surgery or 30 surgery. There really isn't difference.

Having Multiple Procedures is Just Fine

Multiple Procedures are safe in properly selected patients

There have been a number of studies done to evaluate the safety in performing multiple procedures. When done in properly selected patients there was no increase in complications. You will also have one less anesthetic when done at the same time. Pain is usally not a factor, agiain many people prefer just one recovery. However, if you don't feel totally comfortable with having it all done at once, then have them done at seperate times.

Your safety is the first priority

It is common that multiple procedures be done at the same setting but your safety has to be the primary focus. The time that you are under anesthesia is important and where you will recover. It may be prudent for you to recover in an overnight care facility where the nursing staff can make sure to help you get out of bed to walk, encourage fluids and deep breaths, change your dressings, etc. I think your plastic surgeon will be able to help control your pain and once you have recovered, you will be happier, all things considered, that you only had this one recovery. Best of luck.

Dr Edwards

Your safety is the first priority

Dr Edwards

Yes, it is safe for a healthy patient

Combining procedures can be either safe or risky. It really depends on what procedures and what the health status of the patient is. A young patient having breast augmentation, a chin implant, and liposuction (of limited areas) is really a safe procedure. The length of the combined procedures is not particularly long and does not pose a large risk in terms of anesthesia. You will have three (or more) areas that need to recover, but I do not feel that the pain will be "excessive." I agree with your surgeon--assuming you are young and healthy. Good luck.

Sirish Maddali, MD

Yes, it is safe for a healthy patient

Sirish Maddali, MD