Best treatment for smokers lines?

Treatment options for smoker's lines

So called "smoker's lines" are very common - and I have found them to be just as common in non-smokers as in smokers - so I'm not a big fan of the term!  Nevertheless, we have some great ways of smoothing them out, and often a combination of things works best.  But not all of these lines have the same underlying cause.  For example, for one person, filler injections to re-define and restore the lips will work beautifully alone.  For another, laser resurfacing might be needed to get a softer look around the mouth.  Chemical peels, microdermabrasion, fat injection sculpting, and especially the very popular technique microneedling are also often very successful at helping this problem!

Cherry Hill Plastic Surgeon

Treatments for Smokers Lines

Hi and thank you for your question!  

Smokers lines respond best to lasers and/or hyaluronic acid fillers. Lasers will stimulate collagen and elastin to repair the damaged tissue. These changes are more permanent, but will require periodic treatments to maintain fully. Fillers around the mouth area can last 3/4 up to 7/8 or so months, depending on which filler is used, how each individual responds to the product and how much the area is moved/contracted. Some people are more expressive in this area and will break down the product quicker. We see beautiful results in this area after the Sciton Contour Laser and/or Restylane Silk or Belotero.

Dr. Grant Stevens

Grant Stevens, MD

Smokers Lines

Thank you for your inquiry. Best treatment plan would be some hyaluronic acid fillers such as Juvederm or Restylane, among others. Pro Fractional Laser resurfacing and some chemical peels will also be advised. Facial Resurfacing covers only a small portion of the total treatment area, leaving the surrounding area intact as opposed to full field resurfacing which removes the entire surface area. The treatment uses a laser micro-beam, which creates a multitude of tiny, isolated channels in the skin. This difference results in collagen and elastin stimulation, fibroblast activation, and encouraging of rapid healing. Be sure to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon for best results and a proper assessment before making any decisions. Regards,

Best Treatment for #smokerslines

I break treatment into two categories - those without downtime and those with downtime.

If you need a quick fix that won't beat you up too much consider Botox and dermal fillers (I like Restylane Silk). These treatments don't last forever, but they are less expensive and won't require downtime.

The second category involves laser resurfacing. My personal go-to is the Sciton erbium laser. This allows me to vaporize wrinkles and smooth the skin. While this treatment lasts for years, there is 1-2 weeks of downtime.

Hope this helps, Dr. M

Jared Mallalieu, DO
Annapolis General Surgeon

Smokers lines

There are several options available to treat the vertical lines around the lips attributed to smoking.  You can have a filler like Restylane Silk or Juvederm injected along the lip line as well as into the vertical lines themselves.  Botox has also been used to prevent the muscles from moving and forming the lines.  I have found that patients that opt for the Botox often complain about difficulties eating, talking, and drinking through a straw.  Finally you can try ablative lasers, dermabrasion, or treatments like Ulthera.  Good luck!

Vertical Lip Lines

Thank you for your question.  Sorry that you are having some concerns about the appearance of vertical lip lines.  Vertical lip lines are very challenging to treat.  I find that a combination of Botox and a hyaluronic acid based filler works best, depending on the depth of the creases.  Beautiful and natural results can be achieved.  Please be sure to see an expert injector for an in-person consultation to fully discuss your concerns and your goals and expectations in order to determine the best treatment plan.  Hope this helps and best wishes! 

Injectable fillers may be considered for the improvement of smoker's lines.

Smokers may get vertical wrinkles of their upper and lower lips from frequent lip pursing. In our experience, microdroplet Silikon-1000 treatments may be considered for permanent improvement. Hope this helps. Dr Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Smokers lines

Thank you for your question.  It truly depends on how deep the lines are and whether you have downtime after the treatment.  For superficial smokers lines, I like to use a very fine filler such as Restylane Silk. There is no downtime for this procedure, but due to the vascularity of the mouth, there is always a risk of minor bruising. Another option for deeper smokers lines, is using the Fraxel Co2 device.  This is the gold-standard for achieving a significant reduction in wrinkles around the mouth.  However, there is downtime of 7-10 days.

Please feel free to call my office for additional information.

Dr. Ariel Ostad MD PC

212-517-7900

Info@DrArielOstad.com

Ariel Ostad, MD

Smoker line treatment

thanks for your question . A combination of small amount of botox, dermafiller and ablative laser is the most effective treatment.

Consult an expert physician first

Reza Akef, MD
Toronto Physician

Best treatment for smokers lines?

Thank you for your excellent question.  Smokers lines respond best to multiple treatments including Botox, thin hyaluronic acid fillers, chemical peels, and ablative laser treatments.  See an ASPS board certified plastic surgeon in consultation to discuss the best options for your specific concerns.