I am looking for a procedure which helps me reducing acne and pigmentation.

I am a 29yr married Indian wheatish female (no kids yet) with no Acne or skin issue in hereditary, started experiencing various types of acne (red acne and white headed acne) after my first laser treatment in 2013.My skin type is normal.Looking for a procedure which helps me reducing acne and pigmentation. So far, i have tired all kinds of acne reducer ointments/meds contain (Salyic acid/ tretinoin/ kojic acid/etc) and had good sunblocks (SPF 40+). Please advise some medication or procedure.

Doctor Answers 3

Acne and pigmentationsolution

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Hi there and I am glad you listed your ethnicity as skin typing is extremely important in assessing the type of treatment or procedure that can be performed safely. With your skin type since you most likely fall in the skin type 5 category, I would stay away from IPL and  recommend to start oral medication for the acne and  possible lightening treatments. It is important to choose a clinic that is versed in ethnic skin patient treatments  and can preform laser and  pigmentation correction such as topical HQRA   
Chemical Peels and some others to  safely help with pigmentation and scarring for your skin type.

These treatments and medications need close monitoring and follow ups with the prescribing physician and  must be done in an experienced clinic setting  to avoid any unwanted side effects such as hypo-pigmentation.

Hope this is useful.

Kirkland Family Physician

Treating acne and acne scars.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

A picture would be helpful. Sounds like you have been on good skin care. I would try chemical peels as well. For the scarring, Infini seems to be the best in my hands. Other options include PRP, subcision, laser resurfacing, TCA Cross.

Steven F. Weiner, MD
Panama City Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 52 reviews

Acne Treatment

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

An evaluation by a Cosmetic Dermatologist will be helpful for addressing the different types of acne vulgaris, pigmentation and scarring, if applicable.  A Cosmetic Dermatologist can also help discuss any food triggers or environmental triggers that you may have. 

I hope that you found this helpful,

Dr. Tam

Alison Y. Tam, DO
Las Vegas Dermatologist

You might also like...

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.