Non-ablative laser for large pores/acne scars on nose? Did I make the right decision? (Photo)

I just had treatment for acne scars on my nose using a non ablative laser. I was told I will recover in about 4 days and I will continue this treatment for 4 or 5 more times about 1 time per month before I see results. However after doing some more research I have read about TCA cross and I dont know if that is more effective or am I making the right choice? I was told I have boxcar scars by the lady who did the treatment however in the past I was told they were ice pick scars but she disagreed.

Acne Scarring -- Requires a Combination of Fractional Laser Resurfacing, Fillers Like Bellafill, Subcision and Eclipse Micropen

In my practice, I treat acne scars in a combination approach for the best outcome. Surgery, subcision, or TCA cross is best for deep or pitted "ice pick" scars. Fillers like Bellafill or Sculptra or Radiesse are great for broad "boxcar" or "rolling" scars while  Eclipse Micropen can be used for all types of scars and improvement in texture and tone. Lasers such as co2 laser resurfacing or Fraxel/Clear+Brilliant or radiofrequency such as Sublative or Viva will improve the scars and give long term collagen production.I suggest consulting with an experienced cosmetic dermatologist to evaluate a treatment plan for your skin type. Best, Dr. Emer

Non-ablative laser for large pores/scars....

Thank you for your question.  Both focused chemical peels like TCA 70-100% and non-ablative lasers like the Clear and Brilliant laser will have some effect on acne scarring.  Such high concentrations of TCA should only be focused on atrophic scars during the TCA cross procedure not the entire face so it will not affect your pores.  I believe a non-ablative laser like Clear and Brilliant is a better choice for you at this time as it will help improve both the pores and scar. over time.  The scar may require additional treatment like peels, subcision, microneedling, Bellafill, etc.  Your scar personally looks like a rolling scar to me, but it is difficult to tell in the picture.  Regards, Dr. Matt Elias

Matthew Elias, DO, FAAD
Fort Lauderdale Dermatologic Surgeon