Why do I still break out like this at the age of 19? (photo)

I've had acne since approximately the 5th grade. It started out as somewhat cystic and throughout a couple years turned into small pimples. During these breakouts my face would become swollen and very red. I use the Cetaphil daily cleanser, seabreeze toner, and simple replenishing moisturizer. I'm also on an off brand pill of yaz, which helped with the acne at first.

Microneedling during current acne treatments decreases the amount of breakouts/pimples you will experience. There may be a possibility your breakouts are from over production of sebaceous glands. Some oil control pads may reduce inflammation and keep the oil glands under control.  A series of microneedling treatments every 2-3 weeks should improve the quality of your skin. It induces collagen production in the skin.

Thank you for your question. Unfortunately, there is no cure for acne, but there are a variety of treatment options. Acne treatments are based on the type of acne and skin type you have. Treatments include oral antibiotics, medicated creams and ointments, Accutane, or cosmetic procedures such as peels, laser treatments, or facials. With that being said, acne can also be caused by underlying conditions such as hormone irregularities, which is common in women. I highly recommend you consult with a board certified dermatologist regarding your acne and treatment options that best suit your needs. Take care and good luck.

Reuel Aspacio, MD, FAAD