Which laser would be best to treat my large pores and acne scarring? (Photo)

I'm 29 years old and I'm trying to get rid of large pores and acne scarring. I saw a cosmetic dermatologist and he recommended that I have 3 Picosure facial laser combined with Cool Breeze spread out over 3 months and Spironolactone to treat existing acne. I also saw an esthetician that recommended 3 sessions of Whisper Dry Laser Peel. What I have some breakouts that need to be cleared up first but what laser would work best for my skin? Thanks for your time!

PicoSure Laser for acne scars

The picosecond laser works differently than most lasers, interacting with scar tissue through mechanical disruption rather than heat destruction. It also targets pigmentation from prior acne lesions. The downtime is minimal: hours, not days. Most likely you will need three or more treatments. 

Try a Halo!

Halo is a laser that works well for both active acne and scarring. It also reduces pore size over time which helps with future acne breakouts. I recommend a proper physician grade skin care program for 4 weeks prior to a Halo, something that includes retinol or retinaldehyde and vitamin C and a cleanser that has salicylic acid at least 2% to reduce oil production. Also, if a dermatologist is suggesting spironolactone, then you may have a hormonal imbalance contributing to acne. In that case I would seek out a doctor who practices natural hormone replacement and can test your hormones through saliva. There may be a better option for treating hormone imbalances besides starting a medication.

Treating Acne Scars, Bellafill, Fillers, lasers, Submission, eMatrix, PRP with microneedling

A combination of treatments will be needed to help treat your skin and a board certified dermatologist who is experienced with acne scars is needed for an in person consultation.  Best, Dr. Green

Improving acne scars

I think that Bellafill will help you the most. The depressed scars will elevate with the filler. It usually requires more than one treatment. Infini will also be helpful. Other methods to help are: subcision, PRP, laser resurfacing.

Steven F. Weiner, MD