What treatment or procedure would work best to get rid of the textured skin on my face, due to acne scarring? (photos)

I am 28 years old and I have had adult acne for quite some time. I have been on retin-a-micro for a year and it has stopped the acne pretty much. However, my skin looks awful... as you can see, I have these ripples and weird textured skin on both sides of my mouth. Acne scarring? What can I do to get rid of that ( what kind of laser treatments or plastic surgery) ? Would a stronger Retin-A help with that at all? So far the Retin-A hasn't helped with texture. Thank you so much.

Doctor Answers 7

Acne Scarring Treatment

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

HI, we have found success with combining BellaFill Injections along with a dermapen/laser or Vivace procedure for treating acne scars. This is the best combination to fill in and smooth out the scarring. Good luck! 

Treatments for Texture Improvement

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}


Going by the images, you would benefit from the following procedures (alone/ in combination)- mid depth chemical peels, fractional Co2 Laser, Er- YAG Laser, Radiofrequency microneedling, microneedling (dermaroller). You may require a few sessions, but each of these treatments can help with the texture improvements that you desire!

Acne Scars - Fillers, eMatrix, Fraxel, PRP and microneedling

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

For the best treatment a combination of treatments such as fillers, Bellafill, Fraxel, and eMatrix is needed to restore the texture.  Please consult an expert in acne scars.  Best, Dr. Green

Acne Scarring -- Requires a Combination of Laser Resurfacing, Infini/Intensif RF, Fillers (Bellafill), Eclipse Micropen/PRP

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I suggest seeing an expert as acne scarring and texture requires a combination of lasers, fillers, microneedling/PRP and skin care.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Jason Emer, MD
Los Angeles Dermatologic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 202 reviews

Skin texture

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thank you for your photo. Acne scars are treated differently depending on their appearance and structure. Sometimes there is no actual scar at all, but just a dark spot from inflammation. These spots usually improve on their own if you protect them and keep them out of the sun. In the meantime, to control the inflammation and acne breakouts, topical retin-a cream with intermittent salicylic acid peels can dramatically improve your skin tone and frequency of breakouts. Once the acne is controlled and you continue to do have remaining scars due to permanent dermal injury from acne, a variety of treatments can be performed to remodel the scar from energy-based lasers and radiofrequency devices to mechanical disruption of the scar with microneedling. Deep wide scars can be released and filled in with subcision and fillers and ice-pick (thin, deep) scars are best treated by excising them completely. For the best treatment options, it is important to visit an expert for an in-person examination. Hope this helps!

Johnson C. Lee MD, Plastic Surgery

Options for acne scarring, light skin

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I am a fan of using Infini for acne scarring. Other options include: microneedling, PRP, subcision, and laser resurfacing. Deeper scars can be improved with Bellafill.

Steven F. Weiner, MD
Panama City Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 52 reviews

Skin texture problems

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Generally, when skin texture is an issue, we utilize laser resurfacing.  Chemical peels can also help but usually to a lesser degree.  The depth and hence the recovery time will depend on the extent of treatment and the degree of irregularity, but can range from 1-12 weeks.A board certified plastic surgeon and his/her team can best help you decide what is best.

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.