What to do with these bound down rolling/depressed scars on temples? (photo)

Is subcision an option for the temples?

Acne scars in Asians

I would recommend our Hidef Acne Scar Protocol which is targeted towards atrophic acne scars. I would suggest Ematrix RF, fractional laser, and subcision as a start. 
Best, Dr. Karamanoukian
Los Angeles

Scar Treatment

Thank you for your question and interest in your options for scar removal. The best option for your type of scars is laser resurfacing. I have seen and had the opportunity to treat many cases similar to yours where the patients have experienced great results. Please continue to do your research in regards to your options and when you are ready to make an appointment for a consultation, please make sure your surgeon is board certified. Good luck to you!

Michael K. Obeng, MD, FACS

Acne scars

Thank you for your photos. Acne scars are treated differently depending on their appearance and structure. In some of those areas, there is no actual scar at all, but just a dark spot from inflammation. These spots usually improve on their own if you protect them and keep them out of the sun. In the meantime, to control the inflammation and acne breakouts, topical retin-a cream with intermittent salicylic acid peels can dramatically improve your skin tone and frequency of breakouts. Once the acne is controlled and you continue to do have remaining scars due to permanent dermal injury from acne, a variety of treatments can be performed to remodel the scar from energy-based lasers and radiofrequency devices to mechanical disruption of the scar with microneedling - but these are best for subtle or minimal scarring. Most of your scars are boxcar and atrophic scars. These can be released and filled in with needle subcision and filler injection. For the best treatment options, it is important to visit an expert for an in-person examination. Hope this helps!

Johnson C. Lee MD
Plastic Surgery

Johnson C. Lee, MD
Beverly Hills Physician

Acne Scarring -- Requires a Combination of Fractional Laser Resurfacing, Fillers Like Bellafill, Subcision and Eclipse Micropen

Acne scarring can be improved by surgery, subcision, or TCA cross for deep or pitted "ice pick" scars; fillers like Bellafill or Sculptra or Radiesse for broad "boxcar" or "rolling" scars; Eclipse Micropen for all types of scars and improvement in texture and tone. Lasers such as co2 laser resurfacing or Fraxel/Clear+Brilliant or radiofrequency such as Sublative or Viva to improve the scars and give long term collagen production. I suggest consulting with a board certified dermatologist. Best, Dr. Emer

Subcision, Fractional Resurfacing

Hi WB.  We would suggest two treatments.  Fractional laser resurfacing (1-3 visits) and subcision with Restylane.  You are a good candidate for both, and both would be required for best results.  

To see examples of Los Angeles acne scars like yours that were treated with Fractional laser resurfacing, click on the link below.  

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Treatment for acne scars on temples

The photo appears to show boxcar scars.  I don't think that I would do subcision for these scars.  Usually I do subcision for rolling scars, not boxcar scars.  The temple is also a higher risk area with nerves and blood vessels at risk.  The deepest scars may need to be surgically excised.  You might also benefit from resurfacing treatments such as microneedling or non-ablative fractional lasers.  I would recommend that you see an expert in the treatment of acne scarring to be evaluated in person. 
Dr. Ort

Richard Ort, MD
Lone Tree Dermatologic Surgeon