How long does it take to see results with Epiduo? (Photo)

I know it can take 3 mths for retinoids to show improvement. The Epiduo website says that skin will get better with continued use, but so far I have broken out a little more. How long will the IB last? I haven't been on a retinoid for a mth before starting Epiduo. Below is what my skin looks like right now. It is scarred (I scar easily because I have very sensitive and light skin), a little red from the Epiduo, & broken out. I am also 21 & have Ulcerative Colitis if that is helpful.

Results with Epiduo

It is normal for acne to flare when starting a retinoid. It is working by exfoliating the skin, opening up the pores and unclogging the trapped oil, so expect this for the first 2-4 weeks. It normally takes 6-12 weeks to start noticing improvement of acne when starting any new acne regimen. It is actually helpful to know about your history of ulcerative colitis. New research shows a strong link between inflammatory bowel disease and acne, as well as other inflammatory conditions.

Tampa Dermatologic Surgeon

Clearing Acne with Epiduo

Flaring of acne after starting retinoids like Epiduo is not unheard of, and many patients do. This should have been explained to you when you were having your initial consultation. A board-certified dermatologist should be the person you are seeing for your acne, and you should be made aware that Epiduo by itself can take up to 12 weeks for its full effects to kick in, and therefore, sometimes, additional topicals or oral medications are often used with this very effective retinoid.

Follow-up with your dermatologist is important, and learning all the different techniques and procedures to make you better is crucial for the best outcome.

Michael Gold, MD
Nashville Dermatologic Surgeon