I have had acne since I was around 11. I am now 21 and my face is covered in boxcar scars. Would a TCA peel be effective for me?

I've tried many creams, soaps and gels over the years but they did not work. I mostly have the scars and horrible looking spots now.

Atrophic acne scars

TCA peels, subcision, microneedling, fractional laser, Ematrix fractional RF, and fillers can help improve acne scars and are used frequently in our office to help reduce atrophic acne scarring. 

Dr. Karamanoukian 
Los Angeles

Best Acne Scar Treatment

A photo would be most helpful to offer an opinion to your type of scars.  In general, laser treatment is most effective to remove acne scars.  Depending on your skin type and the type of scars either Fraxel laser or eMatrix are the most effective lasers.  Please consult a board certified dermatologist with a great deal of experience with lasers for the best cosmetic results.

Infini is treatment of choice for acne scars

The infini seems to be a very safe, low downtime procedure to treat acne scars in all skin types. Filler might also be needed and Bellafill is a good choice for this in combination. 

Steven F. Weiner, MD

TCA vs Fully ablative laser resurfacing

If box cars are shallow, the use of fully ablative laser is my preference. Why? Because greater than 80% of these scars will be treated in the one session. Downtime? 8-10 days depending on the depth. 
If the box cars are deep, sure, several sessions of TCA, followed by laser. 

Fixing scars really depends on three factors-

1. Your type of scars
2. Your skin type
3. Your allowed downtime. 

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist