Treatment For Shallow Boxscar. (photos)

I have a shallow box scar.It is the only scar I have which makes it more noticeable.I had severe acne but now most of it is gone.Some mild red spots slowly vanishing.My question is that if this scar will heal if not then what are recommended treatments.Its the only scar I have so I would prefer treatment that will only work on the scar specifically leaving may face untouched.This scar is about 8 months old.

Acne Scarring -- Requires a Combination of Fractional Laser Resurfacing, Fillers Like Bellafill, Subcision and Eclipse Micropen

This type of scarring improves with TCA cross, lasers, and fillers/subcision. I suggest you see an expert for consultation.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Isolated cheek scar treatment

Either treat with Infini or Bellafill. Both will give long term improvements. Infini will require about 2 treatments, Bellafill 1-2. The extra Bellafill from the syringe can be used to volumize another area of the face. See link.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Acne scarring treatments

This is a common complaint and there are many ways to deal with this.  I completely agree with you about wanting to work on the scar only and not your entire face.  Many will recommend full face chemical peels which are much more effort but do not address your complaint with a focal depressed scar.  The two methods that I find most useful are the use of high concentration focal peels directly on/in the acne scar (not full face) or CO2 laser resurfacing.  The first method is one that we published in the literature Histologic study of depressed acne scars treated with serial high-concentration (95%) trichloroacetic acid, Derm Surg, 2006) - it works well but must be performed by an experience physician (dermatology or plastics).  The CO2 laser can be done focally with traditional ablative CO2 resurfacing, much like photoshopping the edges of the scar to subtly smooth them over, or you could opt for full face fractional CO2 laser resurfacing, although the cost would be much higher doing that.  Sometimes you can even add a touch of filler to the underside of the scar (after releasing any tethering areas), although I don't find this is useful especially for smaller scars...the entire area tends to raise as opposed to filling it in.  Of note, the high concentration peel method takes time.

Joshua E. Lane, MD, MBA
Columbus Dermatologic Surgeon