I Just Had a Rhinoplasty and Corrective Surgery for a Deviated Septum and I Have Sleep Apnea? (photo)

Can I use a CPAP mask that attaches under the base of my nose and blows air up? I do, however, wake up in pain from using this. It feels as though the blood circulation is being cut off. What should a I do? My apnea is sever. Thanks.

Oral appliance therapy can be an alternative to CPAP

I have treated many cases that had severe AHI numbers very successfully with an oral appliance, a device that moves the jaw forward to open up the airway.  Sometimes we combine with CPAP for some severe cases, but usually replacing the CPAP for those that cannot wear the machine.  

Perhaps in this case it would help as the rhinoplasty heals.

Seek a dentist trained in treating sleep apnea, as not all dentists that advertise appliances know how to treat the condition properly, using the AASM and AADSM protocols.

CPAP After Rhinoplasty

CPAP After Rhinoplasty - I would never recommend using a CPAP after rhinoplasty for at least 3-4 weeks, if possible.

Rod J. Rohrich, MD

Rhinoplasty before and after, sleep apnea

Dear David,

• You should check with your surgeon to see when you can start using your CPAP machine again
  • In general, you can use a CPAP machine after nasal surgery
  • If you are uncomfortable, you may need your machine set to a lower pressure (now that your nose is more open)

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD

Sleep Apnea After Rhino

You should follow your surgeons advice on this one. If you were my patient I would not feel comfortable with you using a CPAP mask for 3-4 weeks after a septoplasty.

Richard J. Brown, MD