How do you get rid of cellulite? And why is it bad?

I'm not overweight, I'm actually average weight, but I see cellulite on my body.. My friends say that it's bad, but why? I know it looks bad, but does it present any health issues that should concern me?

Get Rid of "Bad" Cellulite

Cellulite isn't necessarily bad.  It is just normal fat, but it is trapped beneath fibrous bands under the skin which gives it its bumpy appearance.  It is not dangerous, many people are just bothered by the appearance.

For treating #cellulite, my office typically recommends one of three treatment plans: #Cellfina, #VelaShape III, #ThremiSmooth.

#Cellfina is the newest technology and probably most effective. It is a minimally invasive one-time procedure under local anesthetic that removes the fibrous bands under the skin that cause fat to bulge through creating the appearance of cellulite. The results are fairly #permanent.

#VelaShape and #ThermiSmooth are #non-invasive #bodyshaping products that can help reduce the appearance of your cellulite over the course of multiple sessions.

Book an in-person consultation with a #BoardCertified #PlasticSurgeon to determine which treatment plan is right for you.

Best of luck.

How do you get rid of cellulite?

Cellulite is a dimpling of the skin caused by shortening of fibrous bands which run from the skin to the underlying deeper tissues--it does not cause health issues. It is probably most effectively treated today with Cellfina. This treatment is administered under local anesthesia only allowing us to release the fibrous bands responsible for cellulite. Patient satisfaction rates are well in excess of 90% three years following treatment.

There is only one truly effective and proven lasting cellulite treatment out there, and that is CELLFINA. All of the other lotions, potions, creams, treatments, radio frequency devices, including Cellulaze, are at best, mediocre, and, in many cases, completely worthless. Cellulaze is a laser-based procedure that has a much higher complication rate, as well as a much lower patient satisfaction rate, so that answer is pretty clear. CELLFINA is the only cellulite treatment that has a proven track record of 96% patient satisfaction at 2 years post treatment. Nothing else is even remotely as effective as Cellfina. I have attached a link to my website, explaining how this remarkable system works. There are patient testimonials and schematics reviewing the details of this remarkable breakthrough treatment. Also, Cellfina is a single session procedure that is done under local anesthesia with little to no pain! Thank you for your good question.

Steven M. Gitt, MD, FACS (in memoriam)
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Cellulite treatment option

If you truly have cellulite, cellulaze may be a good option for you. Cellulaze uses a laser under the skin to attack the anatomic causes of cellulite. It is a minimally invasive procedure that takes 1-2 hours and can be safely done under local or just IV sedation. It is an FDA approved treatment for cellulite and requires only one treatment. Hope this is helpful.

Dr. Sugene Kim

Cellulite

Thank you for your question. Cellulite can not be removed, only reduced. It is not a bad thing medically, just some fluid accumulation around irregularly shaped fat cells. The majority of women have or will get cellulite. Cellulilte poses no health concern, and is only a cosmetic issue. Genes, hormones, diet, are contributing factors to this problem. Even women of normal weight or thin women can have cellulite. I hope this helps!

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

Recommended Cellulite Treatments

Cellulite is unsightly, but it is not necessarily unhealthy. Nevertheless, the condition does cause the affected area to take on an unhealthy color and  "orange peel" appearance. Additionally, since stubborn cellulite is resistance to diet and exercise, the dimples and laxity won't go away unless treated. I would need to examine you in person to develop a specific treatment plan. However, I generally recommend Z-Wave therapy, which breaks down cellulite’s fibrous connective tissue so that the trapped fat cells can release their fatty acids. This causes the area to shrink and tighten. I often recommend combining Z-Wave with Carboxy Therapy, which uses the injection of carbon dioxide to further shrink the area, while tightening and smoothing the skin's surface. 

Hal Michael Bass, MD

Cellulite

Thanks for your question.  While cellulite can be unsightly, it does not cause any health problems.  The only proven long term remedy for cellulite is the Cellulaze laser.  This is an outpatient procedure that is similar to liposuction.  A small incision is made and fluid is placed to limit bleeding and provide anesthesia to the area.  The laser is placed under the surface of the skin and is pointed in three different directions.  First, it is pointed down to help eliminate the bulging fat.  Next, it is pointed sideways to break up the fibers that pull the skin down and cause the dimpling.  Finally, it is pointed at the skin to increase the thickness and provide a smoother surface.  Cellulaze does not completely eliminate cellulite, but in most patients will substantially reduce the cellulite.  In my practice, about 80% of patients have an improvement that makes them happy.  For reasons I don't understand, about 20% don't respond.  The best thing to do is visit a board certified Plastic Surgeon to see if you are a candidate for this procedure. Hope that helps!

Jeffrey Umansky, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Cellulaze to remove cellulite

The most effective way to rid your body of cellulite is Cellulaze. Cellulaze will smooth out the skin while keeping it cellulite-free. Consult with your surgeon to find out if you are a candidate for the Cellulaze procedure. Best of luck to you!

Bruce E. Katz, MD