Do you recommend laser pigmentation removal for post inflammatory pigmentation on inner thighs? What do you recommend?

Hi, I have hyperpigmentation on my inner thighs, likely from burning them on a hot surface. It's gotten worse w/chemical peels. I tried hydroquinone and bleaching creams but had little improvement. My inner thighs sweat from time to time. Do you recommend a laser for pigmentation removal? Some have recommended Q-switch Nd:yag. I have sensistive skin and am considering laser hair removal. Is there a laser treatment that helps with both?

First things first--Laser Hair Removal then Lasers, peels and lightening creams for hyperpigmentation

I recommend getting a formal consultation. You will want to do the laser hair removal first, which will take a series of treatments. Fraxel lasers may help with the hyperpigmentation in combination with lightening creams, and peels. See an expert. Best, Dr. Emer

​Correcting Hyperpigmentation with PicoFOCUS

I can appreciate your concerns and address them with our patients daily.  We have had great success treating hyperpigmentation issues on all skin types with the PicoSure Laser with the FOCUS lens array.  If you are considering laser hair removal, you should probably do that first because it may cause more PIH.  We normally recommend a series of 4 treatments, once  every 4 weeks.  This treatment is non-ablative and has almost no downtime.  You will typically have a flushed complexion for 0-2 hours.  You can put your make-up on and go back to work.  After your initial visit, a typical PicoFOCUS appointment is less than 1 hour. 

The PicoFOCUS gently delivers bursts of energy deep in the dermis without causing harm to the overlaying skin.  The pulses work to break up pigment and stimulates new collagen and elastin production.  Your body’s own healing process sweeps away older, damaged tissue and ramps up skin turnover.  We sometimes pair the PicoFOCUS with a Pelleve treatment for additional skin tightening.

We recommend finding an experienced physician in your area.  Treatment prices vary by market.

Laura Riehm, MD
Fort Worth Physician