I had photofacial done 7 days ago. Would like to exfoliatie all those black looking freckles? (Photo)

Photofacials and Exfoliation

The general recommendation is not to exfoliate, scrub, or pick for 10 - 14 days post treatment. Consult with your treating physician as he or she knows the scope of the treatment and the specifics about you.

Photo Facial

Thank you for your question in regards to photo facials.  It is best to review your specific post-care instructions. Although it is typically not recommended to exfoliate 1-2 weeks after a photo facial. Dark, pepper-like spots should flake off on their own. To be sure what is best for you, see two or more board-certified providers in your area for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have treatment. I hope this helps.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Photofacial

It is important not to pick at, scrub, or exfoliate for 10-14 after your treatment.  If you are aggressive with your skin, you run the risk of scarring.  Good luck!

Jennifer Trent, MD, FAAD
Sarasota Dermatologic Surgeon

At one week after an #IPL #photofacial, it should be okay to resume gentle exfoliation.

Hi Sheri,
Good question. First things first, I would call up the med-spa where you had your treatment performed and ask to speak with your laser technician. Their answer ought to be the one you listen to.

I tell patients to avoid exfoliation for 1-2 weeks following an IPL photofacial, and then to resume a gentle exfoliation routine.

Again, I would advise that you speak to your technician regarding your best aftercare.

Exfoliating after a Photofacial

The brown indicate that you are having a good response from your photofacial. It is recommended to lightly exfoliate once a day until your brown spots are gone. We always recommend to our patients to use our exfoliator that was specially formulated for the removal of dead skin cells called Total Exfoliation. In addition I recommend to use a daily moisurizer with a minimum of 50 SPF.

Picking Black Spots after IPL Photofacial

It is important not to pick the black spots after an IPL photofacial.  Picking can cause scarring or pigmentary problems.  A gentle cleaners is all that is needed at this time.  It appears you are going to have a good result so I would let yourself heal at this time.

My favorite exfoliator

That generally indicates that you will have a good result.  It is important not to pick or force the darkened freckles off after a photofacial.  What has worked well for us in the past is to us the GlyPro cleanser by Skin Medica at 7 days, and repeat if needed in 3-4 days.  Kind regards, Marla Klein MD

Marla M. Klein, MD
Lake Oswego Dermatologic Surgeon

Photofacial and exfoliation with Hydro Facial or Dermaplaning

At our office we perform IPL photofacials for redness, rosacea, broken capillaries, broken blood vessels and brown spots followed by a thorough Hydra Facial seven to ten days post or dermaplaning.  

The manual exfoliation from the Hydra Facial or Dermaplaning helps to gentle slough off the dead skin from the photofacial safely and effectively.  In addition, we recommend GlyPro Exfoliating Cleanser and Renewal Cream beginning ten days after photofacial treatment in the evenings.  Adding Lytera is another great way to improve the appearance of brown spots while the glycolic acid in the GlyPro helps to improve pores, texture, tone and fine lines/wrinkles.

Hope this helps.  Good luck.

David Shafer, MD

Photofacial

I would recommend a light exfoliation and  gently massage the skin. You want to make sure you are not picking the scabbing/crusting off too early as the skin underneath may not be ready.

Alan B. Brackup, MD, FACS
Philadelphia Oculoplastic Surgeon

IPL and Peels

I suggest a hydrafacial and to start enzymatic exfoliation with skin lightening.  In the future consider fraxel laser as it will give you more antiaging benefits and treat the color.  Best, Dr. Emer.