What should I do to treat what appears to be an acid burn? (Photos)

Yesterday morning I tried a natural acne treatment that consist of dry mustard with lemon. The mustard is a natural source of salicylic acid. I applied the paste on my cheeks for >10mins before I washed due to discomfort. Since it felt burned, I applied pure coconut oil. Since the burn didn't stop, I did an oatmeal with olive oil mask, which didn't work either. Followed by water and vinegar to try to balance skin PH. This morning, I woke up with what seems to be a chemical burn.

Every physician will have a different topical agent you can try. Giving it time and using sun screen are probably the most reliable ways to heal this. If you are looking for something more I would consider the scar recovery gel by skin medica. Best Wishes 

Charlotte Physician

Treating a chemical burn from at home remedies

Hi,I'm sorry you have suffered a burn from the natural remedies. Remember, vinegar is acetic acid and likely added to the damage already created from the earlier treatments. I would try to see a board-certified dermatologist as soon as possible. Dermatologists have completed four years of additional training after medical school in order to become specialists in treating the hair, skin, and nails. He or she will likely recommend you avoid any oils at this point (you can develop allergies to them) and use gentle emollients and sun protection. If they are well trained in lasers, they may discuss using the pulsed dye laser once the skin is not open. Last, depending on your skin type, they may recommend a mild topical steroid or lightening cream to prevent darkening of the skin. When it's your face it's best to see a professional. Good luck! 

Elizabeth Geddes-Bruce, MD, MS
Austin Dermatologic Surgeon

Options for a burn scar

Start with twice daily application of Plato's Scar Serum followed by vascular lasers to cool down the redness and inflammation. Best, Dr. KaramanoukianLos Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS