Fluorouracil 5-FU Injection? Doctor Referral?

Why is it so hard to find a doctor/derm/ps that offers this for hypertrophic scars? I contemplating on buying it online and injecting it myself because I can't find a doctor/derm/plastic surgeon that does it. Believe me I've asked my derm, PS, google searched, fax, etc.

Doctor Answers 2

5 FU for scars

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

5-FU can be used to treat some scars. However, I have found that the majority of hypertrophic scars are well controlled with the following: 

  1. Selective IIT
  2. Pressure treatment
  3. Pulsed Dye Scar Laser

Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 95 reviews

Treatment for hypertrophic scars

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I have been treating hypertrophic scars with 5-FU for over ten years.  It is an off-label (non-FDA approved) indication.  It generally works well and does not cause the atrophy that is often seen with Kenalog.  Injections are more painful than Kenalog.  It is important to make sure that a female is not pregnant prior to injecting 5-FU.  Overall, I find it a very valuable medicine for treatment of hypertrophic scars. 

Richard Ort, MD
Lone Tree Dermatologic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 28 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.