Dark Circles Under Eyes - Treatment Options?

I have terrible dark circles under my eyes, I am 26 so I'm starting to get wrinkles too. I also see spider veins cropping up places on my face. Do I have some kind of medical condition? What can I do to rid myself of the dark circles( they have been there my whole life- they never go away). Would I chemical peel address my issues? Are restylane injections or IPL a good idea? Does anyone know of good eye creams to help?? I live in Mississauga, ON, if anyone can help me here....

Doctor Answers 4

Dark Circles, Tired Eyes

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Hi SuperDiva,

You have a few options to improve the appearance of your lower eyelid area.  Non-surgical treatment would involve the injection of Restylane into the hollows of your lower lids.  If you still were unhappy, the next treatment that I would recommend for my patient would be a fractionated CO2 laser skin resurfacing of your lower eyelid skin (Fraxel repair).  The surgical option would be trans-conjunctival blepharoplasty with fat transposition.  In any case, most importantly choose your treating physician very carefully.  Good luck and get some sleep (jk).

Be well.


Dr. P

Encino Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 36 reviews

Dark Circles Under Eyes - Treatment Options?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Hi Supadiva!

I have answered this question a few times, and written a RealSelf article to help understad the problems that lead to the lower eyelid appearance you are describing.  Please see links to those in my profile.

You will also find a patient with a preoperative appearance similar to yours.  She is a 23 year-old with the appearnace of dark circles and herniating fat.  The treatment used for her was a fat graft to the lower eyelid and cheek area.  In most cases, however, I use a combination of fillers (including restylane) to augment the lower eyelid trough area and the cheeks.  

This is a very good option for young patients, such as yourself, to help camouflage the dark circles and bags in the lower eyelid.  The treatment should be done by a physician who is accustomed to the anatomy of the lower eyelid and cheek area, and who preforms this procedure often, as it can be a tricky procedure.  It must be done right to give you satisfying results, but when done right can look amazing on your face.

The spider veins are less tricky.  The most direct treatment would be to use a V-Beam or similar laser.  These lasers will absorb directly into the red color of the spider veins and clot or evaporate them, thus resulting in an improved appearnance.  While IPL can be helpful, it is not specifically absorbed into the color of the capillaries.

I hope this is helpful.

Dr. Torkian - Lasky Clinic, Beverly Hills


Behrooz Torkian, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.3 out of 5 stars 17 reviews

You have fat herniation

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

This probably runs in your family. The fat is herniating outward, causing a ridge under the eye. An oculoplastic surgeon can re-position that fat and tighten it all up so you do not look tired all the time. Restylane may give you a temporary and slight improvement, but the best option is surgical. You will worsen from sinus congestion but eye creams and peels will not help this. Good luck.

You might also like...

Restylane fillers for the circles is your best option.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Dear Supadiva

The under eye fillers will by far make the biggest difference for you.  A chemical peel might also help but a personal assessment is needed to answer this.  IPL would be helpful for the spider veins.  Certain medical conditions can be associated with spider veins and an assessment by a dermatologist is reasonable.

Kenneth D. Steinsapir, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 26 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.