Why is the breast swelling 5 months after mastectomy?

Had a bilateral mastectomy 5 months ago, with an infection at 3 months. Took antiboctics. Now when I have a cold, or symptoms of a cold, my right breast swells double the size. Plastic surgeon doesn't seem worried. Swells up once to twice a month and it's very painful. Should I be worried even if doctor is not?

Swelling of breast

Thats a very interesting problem. Do you have implants? does the breast get warm? All the questions need to be answered to know what is going on. When you are swollen perhaps you should visit your surgeon to see if you are accumulating any fluid. I hope this helps!!

Ritu Chopra MD