Acne Keloids. Where should I go from here? (photos)

I got steroid injections over the summer but have not seen any progress. A GP said I should only consult a dermatologist/plastic surgeon with specializes in keloids. The only doctor I found online is one in New York who only uses cryotherapy. Where would you suggest I go from here? Would you recommend any doctors near Champaign or around the Chicago/St Louis/Indianapolis area? If not, who would you recommend across the country? Any advice is really appreciated.

Doctor Answers 4

Keloids and Best Treatment

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I treat a great number of scars including keloids and find the combination of V-Beam and intralesional steroid injections the best combination to use.  The treatment needs to be repeated several times a month apart to make it successful. Please consult an expert.  Best, Dr. Green

Keloids from acne

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

In your case, there will be no "quick fix", I hate to say it.  That being said, this is certainly something that is treatable and improved upon with multiple modalities.  Sometimes steroid injections alone are not enough and you need formal scar revision along with lasers/silicone sheeting/etc to help stop the inflammatory process leading to disorganized collagen deposition.  Keep your head up. Best of luck. 

Miguel Mascaro, MD
Delray Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 16 reviews

Keloids from acne and how to treat.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

These are difficult I think the scars need to be reduced likely with steroids first. If the steroids don't take this down you may have to cut these and let these heal secondarily. I wrote a paper on this and you can find it on my website. Or the other way to do it is just too excise this using a laser. Don't worry there are people out there that can help!!

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Keloid Scar -- Fraxel, 5fu/steroids, pulsed dye/vbeam/yellow laser, surgery, radiation

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

These need a series of treatments including lasers, injections and sometimes surgery/radiation.  Don't let distance dissuade you. Please see an expert in scarring.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Jason Emer, MD
Los Angeles Dermatologic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 203 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.