Buying Skin Care Products Online Vs. in a Doctor's Office?

I previously went to a dermatologist and she told me to use glytone wash and lotion. I have seen that it is only sold at a doctor's office yet I see numerous websites selling glytone.

Can I buy it online instead? It is less money so in case it does not work I would have not spent that much.

Doctor Answers 2

Buying skin care products online

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Skin care products can be purchased online at several reputable places.

I would recommend discussing any purchase with a dermatologist before buying it and then shopping it online to find the most convenient way to get it.

Once your dermatologist makes recommendations, either buy it directly from them if that is the easiest, or if you are often too busy to get back to their office, go online and look for reputable websites where you can buy them.

West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Probably better to buy skincare products in MD Office

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

In most cases, it is less expensive to purchase products at the physician's office. Physicians are most often obligated not to price a product below a minimum price set by the manufacturer.

One other problem in buying online is that there are many very slick fakes out there. For instance, there was a fake Prevage. This product looked identical to the real Prevage but was a copy from China.

Third, if you have a reaction, the product can be easily returned and your money refunded. This may not be true in buying products online.

Finally, we can judge what products would be best for your skin type. Online companies can not do that.

Thank you for your question.

Arnold R. Oppenheim, MD
Virginia Beach Dermatologist

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.