Can popping a pimple on the chin make the bone underneath change shape?

Can the force from your fingers when popping a pimple on your chin cause the bone to be pushed into a different shape?

Acne Scarring

Don’t worry, your bone is perfectly safe. If you’re seeing a change in the shape of your chin, it could be due to acne pitting/scarring. There are a few treatment methods to deal with this, including fillers. For more information, please contact your dermatologist.

Fenton Dermatologist

Pimple popping won't go to bone

Pimples are within the skin and far away from bone. It is possible that the acne did cause some soft tissue loss. This can be improved with Infini or filler (Bellafill). 

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Popping pimple

Hi there, popping the pimple won't alter your bone underneath. However what you may be seeing/feeling is an acne scar, which you can fix with a procedure called microneedling.

Justin Harper, MD
Columbus Physician

Acne scars?

Thank you for your question. No I do not think "popping a pimple" can change the shape of your facial bones; however, if there are any indentations or scarring from the manipulation, then that can change the texture of your skin. Changing the texture of your skin may alter the appearance of your face. I highly recommend you consult with a board certified dermatologist to have your skin evaluated. Take care and good luck. 

Reuel Aspacio, MD, FAAD