I have acne scars since past 2 years? How to get rid of it?

have been through laser treatment but nothing happens. than TCA chemical peeling but don't have any differences. what to do ????

Treat scar type and skin type.. read more

Agreed with Dr Novick- you need to see an expert in treating acne scars. Your best treatment will always depend on 3 factors- your scar type, your skin type and your downtime. 

The optimal treatment will always depend on the above. Ice pick and narrow box car scars can be treated with TCA CROSS, however you will need multiple treatments. Additionally if you have darker skin, you may require more sessions and PIH or post inflammatory hyper pigmentation is universal. This will settle down in 4-7 months. 

Fractional laser is preferred in darker skin types. I like erbium over CO2, however if you have rolling scars, low coverage CO2 maybe the preferred option. 

Fillers and surgical methods should also be considered for atrophic and tethered scars respectively. 

A posted picture will guide the panel in regards to the best procedures. 

All the best

Dr Davin Lim 
Laser Dermatologist
BRISBANE, Australia 

Brisbane Dermatologist

Acne Scars and Best Treatments

Acne scars take time and patience to treat.  There is no one type of treatment and depends of both the nature of the scar and your skin type.  It would be easier to answer your question with photos.  I use mainly two types of lasers for acne scars - the Fraxel Dual or the eMatrix, depending on skin type.  I also inject fillers into scars as well to help minimize their appearance.  Please consult with a board certified dermatologist who has a great deal of experience with scar treatments for the best cosmetic results.

Treatment For Acne Scars Requires More Than Just A One-Size-Fits-All: It Needs To Be Tailored To Individual Needs

There are basically three kinds of indented acne scars: rolling scars, boxcar scars and ice pick scars--each requiring a different treatment approach or combination of techniques in order to achieve optimal improvement.

Since no photos were provided, I can only comment in the most general of terms.. Although TCA peels of varying concentrations, ranging from superficial to medium depth varieties, have been used for treating acne scars, I have found the more superficial variety are best for creating a healhier glow to the skin and evening out textural and tonal irregularities and are less valuable for scar improvement, especially for more indented scars. The deeper varieties, while better for the scars, possess the greater risk of themselves causing scars and pigmentary problems. The same may be said of the generally more expensive carbon dioxide laser treatments. I am totally underwhelmed by the results of fraxel laters. So, in short, I am not at all surprised that the TCA peels and the lasers were of limited to no value.

By contrast, I have found that TCA CROSS technique, which uses full strength TCA inserted deep within individual ice pick scars, can be quite helpful for shrinking these and improving their appearance.

For other kinds of indented acne scars, subcision with or without the addition of medical microneedling might be helpful for elevating the scars and for better blending their surface tone and texture with the surrounding normal skin.

A consultation with an board certified aesthetic physician with expertise in acne scar treatment is strongly urged. For more information on any of the techniques mentioned above, check out the archives or Realself.com

Nelson Lee Novick, MD