Skin discoloration, blemishes and acne on African American skin. (photos)

I have always had acne. A few months ago, i went to see my dermatologist who prescribed me tri Luma to lighten up my acne marks since my acne was going away. Well that didn't work, I had an averse effect where I have more darker marks and then I got stressed out and my face got worst and now I don't know what to do to get the clearer skin without blemishes and marks. I need help as to what treatment would get me the results I want and need to increase my self esteem

Control acne, then see a cosmetic dermatologist

Firstly I would see a general dermatologist to get your acne under absolute control. No point on working on areas of darkening when you still have active acne (more dark spots). Once under control, a combination of creams, and lasers can help. All the best, Dr Davin Lim. Brisbane, Australia. 

Brisbane Dermatologist

Stress-free solutions with lasers and peels

I recommend a formal evaluation with a cosmetic dermatologist. This may be improved with a combination of lasers, peels, and skin care. See an expert. Best, Dr. Emer

PIH from acne, dark skin

I would see your dermatologist again. Chemical peels would be helpful. Switching up the topical would also help. It's possible you might need oral medications as well.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Acne

From the photos it looks like you may still have some inflammatory acne which can contribute to post inflammatory hyperpigmentation. I suggest you see a dermatologist to treat that first. Sometimes chemical peels and retinols can help

Firas Al-Niaimi, MSc
London Dermatologist

Skin discoloration, blemishes and acne on African American skin.

Hello... THis is such a difficult problem but with some time and effort you can make it better. I would start with a skin lightening cream that is not a stron as Tri Luma. Even if you use a 2% hydraquinone with some LIGHT chemical peels to start with it will be better. A lot of people think that stronger is better but that is not the case when dealing with hyperpigmentation. After you ease into these treatments and start seeing result then you can consider doing some micro needling treatments to help smooth the skin by building collogen. Be sure when you find your skin care specialist that DO NOT try a LASER on you. This is way to much for your skin to handle. Stick to less aggresive product and treatments and NO LASER. I hope this was helpful... Good Luck!

Bruce K. Smith, MD