Best treatment for large pores and acne/acne scaring? (photos)

I am a 28 year old who never had acne before in my life until I turned 27. I have been fighting it for almost two years now and nothing works. I look so old for my age. What can I do? I was put on doxycycline, retina A and a achne cream. It worked at first but for the past six months, I cannot get it under control.

Acne and resistant acne

I have had thousands of patients such as yourself and the best advice that I would give you is to make sure that this is not hormonally related and have your dermatologist analyze the necessary blood tests.  If it is not hormonal then Accutane may be the best treatment for you.  Please consult an expert.  Best, Dr. Green

​Late onset and large pores and resistant acne.

Late onset and large pores and resistant acne. It would probably be really important to know what you're doing to treat your acne at this current time. There are ways to do topical treatments to get effective control of your acne. I have treated the worst type of acne and there are special ways to attack this. In terms of your pores some of this is due to aging and it may not fully be improved with just laser resurfacing, you may need to do some other things to stretch the envelope. I personally believe that there are ways to improve your pores by filling and volumizing your face to make it look better. That is the only way in my experience to improve your pores

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Adult Acne/Scarring/Lare Pores --Lasers (Fraxel, Co2/Erbium, VIVA, Intensif); Microneedling/PRP, Fillers (Bellafill)

In addition to your topical treatments, I suggest a formal consultation with an acne scarring expert. You may need a combination approach with lasers, TCA cross, peels/skin care.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Poorly controlled acne on topicals

Sounds like you have had good topical therapy. Other than chemical peels, I'm an advocate for laser treatments in these cases. Looks like you have a component of rosacea as well. I would use the Excel V laser +/- the Spectra QS laser with the gold toning handpiece. It requires 3-6 treatments and touch ups. I've also used micro amounts of Botox/Dysport for this condition too. 

Steven F. Weiner, MD