I Am 50 Years Old and As You Can See Have Significant Wrinkles Under my Eyes. What is my Best Option? (photo)

I am considering Restylane fillers for my under eye wrinkles but I keep reading mixed reviews. I attempted to do the dot therapy laser but the numbing cream got in my eyes and I had a chemical reaction. Even though my eyes are fine now, I am a bit nervous about this route but not opposed. Ideally I would like to avoid the $$$ cost of surgery if at all possible.

Doctor Answers 4

Best Option to Treat Wrinkles under the Eye

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Have reviewed your photo and would agree that a filler is probably not the way to go if you are looking to improve the fine line wrinkles only.  I would suggest a series of profractional lasers (healing time 2-3 days) and a astringent eye cream.  This would probably give you a 30 to 40% improvement. Most importantly be conservative because the thin skin of the lower lid will not tolerate too much of an insult.  Hope this helps

Stay away for fillers with they eyelid problem

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Fillers may be used by a skilled cosmetic surgeon to correct what is known as a tear drop deformity under the eyelids, from your photo, that is not your condition.I suggest you see an oculoplastic surgeon for evaluation as yours appears to be a surgical problem and fillers would be risky and a waste of money. 

Steven Hacker, MD
West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Wrinkle treatment for lower eyelids.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

The photo is very helpful to answer your question. Filler will not resolve your concerns as the wrinkle are more superficial. A lower blepharoplasty or laser resurfacing or chemical peel will deal with these more effectively.

50 Year Old with Under Eye Wrinkles

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thank you for the photo.  That is very helpful.  I do filler all day long for under eye problems. In your case I think you should have a consultation with an excellent occuloplastic surgeon in your area for the best long term solution to your problem.  I know it is expensive, but a good surgeon will also be understanding and accommodating, and may be able to work out some sort of payment plan for you.

Sheri G. Feldman, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologist

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.