Is it normal for age/sun spots to turned red when using hydroquinone % cream?

Should continue using the cream? How can I get rid of the redness. I asian and have age spots/sun spots on both side of my cheeks. I also have adult cystic acne on my chin. My acne is under control, but it left me with dark scars. I applied hydroquinone 4% cream just on the sun spots and acne scars with the q-tips for the last two weeks, but the sun spots and acne scars turned into red spots.

Acne Scarring -- Requires a Combination of Fractional Laser Resurfacing, Fillers Like Bellafill, Subcision and Eclipse Micropen

There are many treatment options for sun spots and acne scarring. A combination approach is needed to get the best outcome. I suggest you see an expert who can get you on a short and long term plan including lasers, microneedling, skin lightening and skin care. If your skin is reddened from hydroquionone 4%, I suggest you discontinue use and speak to your physician to ensure you are not sensitive or have an allergy. Best, Dr. Emer

Thanks for your query. You should stop applying hydroquinone 4% s your skin is becoming sensitive. You can start on hydroquinone free skin lightening agents and use proper sun block. Hope it helps.

All The Best

Ajaya Kashyap, MD
India Plastic Surgeon