What’s the Best Dermal Filler for Acne Scars?

Is there a preferred injectable brand for deep scarring?

There are many options for filling in scars

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Fillers are a temporary way to fill in depressed scars. Restylane can last about 6-9months, and radiesse 1-2 years. Fat can be another option to fill in scars and can last many years like 10 years give or take a few years when done right.

In my experience, using temporary fillers gives one only modest results and most people are left desiring more improvement. Other ways to lift the scar include subscision technique where you use a needle to lift the scar up so that it sits level with the plane of the rest of the skin. This can be done in conjunction with laser resurfacing. Other ways to lift up the scar is to use biopsy instruments to incise around the depressed scar and this is then lifted up into the right plane. Another way is to cut the scar out and follow this with resurfacing.

Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dermal Filler for Acne Scars

If you have ice pick- deep narrow scars they are best treated by cutting them out with a biopsy punch and suturing the hole closed with a file suture. 
If your scars are broad and more shallow I often treat them successfully with releasing the scar from below with a long needle( called subcision) and them filling the space underneath with either Sculptra or your own fat. 
"Peeling" such scars are not the best option.

Richard Sadove, MD
Gainesville Plastic Surgeon

Best Dermal Fillers for Acne Scars

Great question! It really depends on your degree of scarring. For individuals who have severe scarring with major volume depressions, I like to use a combination of Sculptra, fractioned laser, and micro-Radiesse injections. First, I use Sculptra to give a pan-facial volume restoration. I follow this up by performing fractionated laser, before finalizing with micro-Radiesse injections in the divots.

Babak Azizzadeh, MD

Bellafill is FDA approved for acne scar treatment

Bellafill is the only current dermal filler FDA approved for acne scars. The scars should be relatively shallow and able to smooth out when pulled manually. Other dermal fillers can be used off-label to treat certain types of acne scars, but the effects are temporary. Generally, a combination treatment customized to your particular needs is best for treating acne scars, as there are multiple different types of acne scars as well as discoloration that can go along with them. Laser resurfacing, microneedling, and chemical peels are just a few of the various treatment options available for dealing with acne scars. The best thing to do is to see a board-certified dermatologist for an in-person consultation and evaluation to determine the best course of action for you. 

Melda A. Isaac, MD
Washington DC Dermatologic Surgeon

Acne scars - Make it plump and make it last

There are so many fillers these days that it is often difficult to know which is best. Acne scars are a specialized treatment area and thus the choice is often times easier.

The two basic requirements should be that the filler plumps the skin well enough to correct the scar and second that it lasts long enough for prolonged correction.

My personal favorite is Radiesse (Calcium hydroxlapetite). This filler plumps, provides immediate correction and last approximately 9-16 months.

Microroplet silicone is another excellent alternative. This is a specialized technique performed by only a limited number of physicians. It is a permanent filler and must be used with care.

ONE IMPORTANT NOTE ABOUT ACNE SCARS: there are many different types of acne scars (ice pick, box car, rolling type scars), and they must be approached using different techniques and combinations of techniques including lasers, acid peels and then fillers as a final therapy.

Edgar Franklin Fincher, MD, PhD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Acne Scar Treatment

Depending on what type of acne scars you have will determine which filler you should get. Fillers such as Juvederm and Restylane can last 6-12 months. However, keep in mind that you might instead require a resurfacing laser treatment or other approach based on the actual acne scars to obtain the best result.

Best dermal filler for acne scars

Fillers can be a great option for acne scars in the right patient. Fillers tend to work best in shallower scars, and not as well in deep, ice-pick scars. Some doctors will use permanent fillers for acne scars, but this is not something that I do as I have seen some bad outcomes by other injectors.

A product like Restylane Silk can work great for the right type of acne scar, but others like regular Restylane, Volbella, and Vollure might also work well depending on the scar and the patient. Fillers can also be combined with other treatments like laser skin resurfacing to get the best overall result.

Matthew Richardson, MD
Frisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

FILLER for ACNE SCAR TREATMENT | DR DANIEL CHANG RECOMMENDS LOW DENSITY FILLER

Dear  x,

Acne scars are common, but with advancement in technology, thankfully it is not something you have to live with.

Acne scars are the result of the breakdown of collagen and elastin in your dermis. They frequently occur at sites which were acne prone in the past, namely your temples, cheeks etc.

Acne scars are 3 dimensional, hence submitting a photo will not do justice to your scar. It requires real time examination (touch and animation), combined with lighting from various angles. That is why you may notice your scars differently in the bathroom mirror and in the dressing table mirror.

Dr Daniel Chang’s 3 STEP ACNE SCAR Treatment Formula: 

1- Control acne

2- Treatment – Fractional laser + skinboosters ( to promote collagen growth)

3- Maintainence with lasers ( to optimise collagen stimulation)

STEP 1: CONTROL YOUR ACNE. (Refer to this page on acne for more information)

Achieving good control of your acne is the important principle towards helping your acne prone skin. This prevents new scars from forming, which is a big step forward. Dont be too worried about your existing acne scars. Focus on prevention first.

STEP 2: Treatment based on scar type. Below are the 4 main types.of atrophic scars.

Ice pick scars =>    can be treated with TCA CROSS, Fractional and Microneedling

Rolling and box scars scars => are best treated with a combination of  RF Microneedling, PRP, fractional lasers and subcision

Hypertrophic scars can be treated with

•  Microbotox
  • Intralesional steroid

Atrophic scars -> A combination approach is what I would recommend to improve the appearance of such scars.

• Laser Resurfacing +/- RF microneedling 
  • Subcision
  • Dermal fillers – Skinboosters – Please refer to my Page on Skinboosters 
  • Intralesional saline – ( Latest evidence from Journal of Dermatology Sept 2016)

Fractional C02 used to be the industry gold standard for treatment of acne scars. Current studies point towards combination therapy, as I have outlined above. In addition, As collagen takes 3 months to grow, multicentre studies show one would require at least 4 sessions to see results. 1 session is unfortunately not enough.

Dermal fillers alone are not enough, as they last only temporarily. I would advise lower density hyaluronic acid fillers, for example restylane vital. I hope you find this helpful. 

Daniel Chang, MBBS
Singapore Physician

Dermal filler for acne scars

Bellafill is a relatively new filler that has received an indication for acne scarring.  It's biggest advantage is how long can last.   It may last very much longer than Radiesse and hylauronic acids.  Combining the filler with subcision can improve the results.

Paul Blair, MD
Hurricane Facial Plastic Surgeon

Best option for filling acne scars.

In my opinion the best option, the most natural and longest lasting option is fat transfer with PRP and laser resurfacing for the surface.

I perform this procedure often. It can  take multiple treatments.

I usually get patients on topical products as well as Sciton  broad band light treatments to enhance and insure treatments results.

Gregory Roche, DO
Bloomfield Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon