What Type of Scar Is Left From Cystic Acne, and What's the Best Treatment for It?

Can someone please tell me what type of acne scar this is (rolling? boxcar?) and what would be the best treatment for it? The pitting really bothers me. This scar is what I'm left with after cystic acne and it has been about 4-5 months since the cysts went away (this scar is the result of two cysts). When I stretch the skin the scar goes flat and virtually disappears... Too bad it won't stay like that.

Doctor Answers 3

Box car scars and depressed scars from Acne best treatment

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I would consider a multilayered approach. You have lost tissue underneath the box car scar and that needs to be replaced some how. options include fillers, and subcision. Then you need something for the top like laser resurfacing.

Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Acne Scars

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I agree.  From what I see, subcision, small amount of filler and/or laser treatments would all be good options.  Strong chemicals in pinpoint scars if you have them is also helpful.  Don't forget preventative treatment for future acne!  Good Luck! 

Hannah Vargas,  Kansas City

Hannah Vargas, MD
Kansas City Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 47 reviews

You have two types of scars, pitted and depressed rolling type scars.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I would treat both scars with a combined treatment using subcision of the rolling scar followed by Fraxel Repair Laser treatment of both the contoured scar and the pitted scars.  If necessary Perlane injection under the rolling scar could be performed a few weeks later.

Mark Taylor, MD
Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon
4.2 out of 5 stars 18 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.