What Type of Scar is This Consider? What Treatment Should I Get? (photo)

This is old indented scar caused by combination acne/sun. This consider as boxcar? or Icepick? Will pure Fraxel resurfacing (restore? 1550) benefit from it?(I ask this because that was the only option offered by my specialist dermatologist) and approximate percentage of improvement? Can a experience doctor roughly describe what will it "look like" after improvement? (I have olive(asian), sensitive combination dry/oily skin type) Thanks in advance

Doctor Answers 2


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}


The options you have for your acne scars are Laser treatment, as Profractional laser or even a mini face lift to stretch out the skin and get rid of the scars. Fillers are not long lasting results. You should look into laser. Good luck


Beverly Hills Plastic Surgeon

Treatment of Facial Scar

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

It is difficult to name the scar on your right cheek just based on the poorly lit picture you have shared. That being said there seems to be a depression in the scar as well as some fibrous scar tissue causing indentations and firmness. Most likely this scar can be very nicely improved with a combination of injectable filler and resurfacing with electrocautery (electrosurgery) or laser. Consult with a board-certified physician experienced in treating these types of scars with multiple techniques. 

Channing R. Barnett, MD
Boca Raton Dermatologist
4.1 out of 5 stars 8 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.