Can Tretinoin and Azelaic Acid be used simultaneously?

Doctors, whether Tretinoin and Azelaic Acid can be used simultaneously or night and I use Tretinoin In the morning I use Azelaic Acid is not a problem? I tried to remove the red acne scars, Thanks

Tretinoin and Azelaic Acid

Since both of these compounds can be drying and/or irritating I usually do not prescribe both together.  Although you want to dry out the acne, excessive dryness to your skin can actually make your acne look worse.

Combining azelaic acid and tretinoin

It would be reasonable to use azelaic acid in the morning and tretinoin at night, but not both at the exact same time. Because both can be a little irritating, you need to start slow with them, so I often suggest alternating at night each gel until tolerated, and then you can do both in one day, but make sure to moisturize well and use a mild cleanser instead of soap on your face.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon