What is the best treatment suited for these raised acne scar on my nose? (photo)

Some say it's called sebaceous hyperplasia. I used to have cystic pimples on my nose and every time they begin to heal, they leave me with a slightly raised bump. It's hard to see in a darker lighting, but is quite noticeable in the light. I need the help and information. I am 16 and I have a tough time dealing with these acne scars. Having these bumps cause me to stress even more, even after the pimple already healed. They may look like active acne but they are all just raised bumps and scars

Doctor Answers 4

Cystic Scarring Acne

Cystic scarring acne can be emotionally devastating.  I had one patient who told me that he could not make eye contact with other people because he was so self-conscious.  You may need oral and topical antibiotics or even Accutane to treat these lesions.  In addition, you most likely would benefit from intralesional cortisone injections and V-Beam lasers to treat these scars.  Please find a board certified dermatologist in your area for the best cosmetic results.

New York Dermatologist
5.0 out of 5 stars 76 reviews

Acne or Scar Creams May Help

Cystic bumps on the nose can develop into scar tissue called acne keloidalis which usually do not go away on their own. Acne keloids can be treated with intralesional cortisone injections with can flatten and lighten the bumps on the nose. Also, other prescription acne creams or scar creams can improve the appearance of the dark marks.

Joshua L. Fox, MD
Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 19 reviews

Sebaceous Hyperplasia is different than Acne Scars

Thank you for your question and pictures.

You will need to see a medical doctor to make sure that some other medical problem is not going on.  That being said, sebaceous hyperplasia is usually treated with chemical peel, tangential excision, or dermabrasion.

To be sure what might be right for you, with parental consent see two or more board certified and experienced plastic surgeons in your area for a full and complete evaluation.

I hope this helps.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS
Nashville Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 182 reviews

Acne Scarring -- Requires a Combination of Fractional Laser Resurfacing, Fillers Like Bellafill, Subcision and Eclipse Micropen

Fillers, subcision, and lasers can be used to give improvement to this area. I suggest you see an expert for consultation.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Jason Emer, MD
Los Angeles Dermatologic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 190 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.