Are there any treatments or procedures that could possibly improve the appearance of my facial scars? (Photo)

I have lupus and while I have been in remission for over 7 years, I have been left with scars on both cheeks from a bad lupus rash. Over the past five years my doctor has recommended microdermabrasion, light chemical peels, fillers and currently has me on tretinoin .1%. I have saw no noticeable results with any of these. As I get older, the more noticeable they become and makup does very little to hide them.

Ematrix RF and fillers for acne scars

I would suggest a combination of ematrix RF, fractional laser, subcision, and HA fillers to improve your scars. 

Dr. Karamanoukian

Los Angeles

Scar on Face -- fillers, lasers, microneedling/PRP, subcision

For facial scarring, a combination approach will provide the most improvement. For the deeper and broader scars fillers like Bellafill or Sculptra or Radiesse can be used. Eclipse Micropen improves texture and tone. Lasers such as co2 laser resurfacing or Fraxel/Clear+Brilliant or radiofrequency such as Skinfinity or Viva to improve the scars and give long term collagen production. I suggest consulting with a board certified dermatologist for further assessment. Best, Dr. Emer

Are there any treatments or procedures that could possibly improve the appearance of my facial scars?

Hello Tas3,
There are some options to treat your facial scars.  They are more of box car types cars on both cheeks.  Your physician has tried several good options. The problem with microdermabrasion and light chemical peels as they won't be able to effectively lower the surrounding skin.  Looking at your pictures you look to have more pigment to your skin (unless that is just the lighting) which does raise the risk when using dermabrasion (or fractionated/ablative lassers) of changing the skin color after treatment.  There is a technique called subcision whereby a needle is used to help free the scar from the underlying tissue and then filler placed in between.  I'm not sure if this is what you had done before but could be the least invasive.  Finally, you can replace the depressed scars with fine lines but surgically removing the more bothersome scars and then closing the incision.  This would still leave a scar on the face but they would likely be less noticeable..  
I'd recommend you consult with a facial plastic surgeon to go over  your options in person to help decide what is best.
I hope this helps and good luck.  

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon

Filler are safe for scars in lupus

Yes, many recent articles showing the safety of HA fillers for lupus. If you have a look at my before and afters, you will see a v similar case I did on some who had lupus and acne scars (under acne scar filler treatment). Filler can address atrophic scars safely. Sometime I use low density laser, but monitor your lupus index, such as your ESR, CRP , dsDNA and cover with topical steroids after the procedure. 
See a Board Certified Dermatologist who performs scar revision in your area. All the bestDr Davin Lim Laser and aesthetic dermatologistBrisbane, Australia. 

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist