What Kind of Surgeon to Remove Fat from the Armpit?

I am having the fat under the arm pit removed by a Breast surgeon...should I have gone thru a Plastic surgeon? I am now having serious thoughts - are there any questions I need to ask before the surgery?

Doctor Answers 3

Accessory Breast Tissue can be removed by a Competent Breast Surgeon or a Plastic surgeon

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Hi there-

The problem you describe is actually fairly common, and can be safely and effectively managed by a competent breast surgeon or a board certified plastic surgeon.

Armpit tissue removal

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Accessory breast tissue can be problematic for patients. It is certainly a good idea to have it removed. This can be done either by a general surgeon or a plastic surgeon.

Steven Wallach, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.2 out of 5 stars 30 reviews

Removal of Arm Pit Fat

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

The Axillary Tail (of Spence) of the breast is an extension of breast tissue. A good and meticulous Breast surgeon should be competent to perform the operation.

Peter A. Aldea, MD
Memphis Plastic Surgeon

You might also like...

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.