I am needing to have a Nuss Procedure and Maxillomandibular advancement. Any suggestions?

However, I would like to end up with an aesthetically pleasing result. Therefore, I was wondering if you know of any plastic/reconstructive surgeons (anywhere in U.S.) that happen to also be thoracic surgeons (for the Nuss) and dentists/oral surgeons (for the Maxillomandibular advancement)?

Doctor Answers 4

Plastic surgery for face and chest

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Since you're in New York, I would recommend visiting NYU to have this consult.  I would recommend Dr. Staffenberg for the orthognathic surgery - he is excellent and is a craniofacial plastic surgeon.  I'm sure he will know of a thoracic colleague who can perform the Nuss bar.

You would be better off doing this with two different surgeons - the thoracic surgeons don't typically do facial surgery and although many plastic surgeons have done Nuss procedures, now usually thoracic specialists do this more frequently.  

Washington DC Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 20 reviews

Procedures for obstructive sleep apnea

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
There are multiple procedures available for treatment of obstructive sleep apnea which offer a pleasing aesthetic result. I would start with a consultation with a board certified and fellowship trained sleep surgeon, results of the sleep study, and endoscopy of the upper airway. The evaluation will guide the surgical treatment. 

Jose E. Barrera, MD, FACS
San Antonio Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 56 reviews

I am needing to have a Nuss Procedure and Maxillomandibular advancement.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
The Nuss procedure is an excellent minimally invasive procedure with excellent return with minimal risk and disability associated with procedure.

Orthognathic surgery can be fantastic but it can also have numerous problems associated including permanent lip numbness.  There may be a far better alternative.

I suggest looking into the DNA Appliance and Epigenetic Orthodontics prior to looking into surgery.

I see that you are in New York.  I would contact Dr Martha Cortes and learn what she can do non-surgically before you make any decisions.  I do 95% of my DNA patients but I refer my "Surgical" patients to Dr Cortes.  I had one patient who I referred to Dr Cortes that had 5 different O.S.  across the country tell her she needed double jaw surgery .

Dr Cortes is a past student of mine who I taught Sleep Apnea Treatment.  Smartest student I ever had.  I took my DNA, RNA appliance treatment courses from Martha.

She commuted to N.Y. for the DNA and was completed without surgery and with far better results.

Certified DNA Appliance Provider
Chair, Alliance of TMD Organizations

You might also like...


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
If your jaw needs advancement, you must contact an Orthognathic surgeon for a consult and X-rays. You may need braces. 

Majid Jamali, DMD
New York Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 19 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.